Cruise Documents
Q:  What travel documents and identification will I need for international sailings?
A:  Please note: Royal Caribbean domestic sailings are all sailings originating and ending in ports located in the U.S., Canada and Mexico including Panama Canal sailings. All other sailings are considered to be international sailings. These include itineraries in Europe, South America and Australia/New Zealand including re-positioning sailings originating or ending in their ports. U.S. citizens traveling on our international sailings are required to have valid passports.

Before Leaving Home:
Please take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the required travel documents you will be asked to provide prior to boarding the ship. Caution: The requirements described below are subject to change by governmental bodies without notice.

It is the sole responsibility of the guest to identify and obtain all required travel documents and have them available when necessary. These appropriate valid travel documents such as a passport, visas, inoculation certificate and family legal documents are required for ship boarding and country entry and/or re-entry.

Guests who do not possess the proper documentation may be prevented from boarding their flight or ship or from entering a country and may be subject to fines. No refunds will be given to individuals who fail to bring the proper documentation.

Consecutive Sailings
Guests on consecutive sailings must ensure they have the proper travel documents for their entire cruise vacation.

A valid passport is required for travel.
For your protection, we recommend that your passport expiration date not occur within six(6) months of the sailing termination date.
U.S. citizens carrying an Official (maroon cover) passport must also be in possession of a valid Diplomatic or personal (blue or green cover) passport to allow ship embarkation.

It is the guests' responsibility to identify and to obtain the necessary visas before commencing their cruise.
Based on nationality, many countries still require an entry visa.
Suggestions on where to get visa information:
U.S. citizens can visit the U.S. Department of State Foreign Entry Requirements 
Canadian citizens can visit Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada 
the Embassies (Consular Service Office) of each country on your sailing itinerary
or the visa service of your choice, such as CIBT for specific visa requirements, information, forms and fees that apply to your nationality.

toll free telephone: 1.800.858.8579

As detailed in our brochure, all guests must ensure that they are medically and physically fit for travel. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO) provide guidelines as to which vaccinations are required in each country. In many cases inoculations are recommended but in some circumstances they are required. We recommend that you check with your health care professional or a Travel Medicine Specialist certified by the WHO for guidance. Other informational resources can be accessed at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Traveler's Health website. or toll free at 1-877-FYI-TRIP, and the World Health Organization website.

Family Legal Documents
Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) and the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation.

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, or Ice Skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

Click here for more information on Passport and Visa Requirements.
Learn more:
Bullet Visit our New Passport Requirements page
Search FAQs
Need help?
Bullet If you're having trouble, you can complete our e-mail form and one of our representatives will contact you.
Bullet If you prefer, you can call us directly.
Bullet Or you may search this site for more information.


(866) 562-7625