The One Thing You Don't Want to Miss
Kealakekua Bay, where Captain James Cook lost his life, is one of the best snorkeling spots on the island. The area is a state park and conservation site, teeming with undersea life. It's a great place for both experienced snorkelers and novices to explore the marine world.
Other Fun Things to Do
- Explore the underwater world of Kona's reef on an adventure to a realm once explored only by Jacques Cousteau and other skilled divers. At depths of 30 to 75 feet, you'll travel along a natural coral reef bed that is home to a multitude of tropical marine life. Look closely and you may catch glimpses of moray eels.
- Take a walking tour of dozens of Kailua-Kona's charming and fascinating historic sites. Enjoy stories of Kona's colorful characters and the places they inhabited. Experience the treasures of the King's summer palace as well as the beautiful palace grounds.
- Soar over the west side of the Big Island via helicopter and discover the lush green valleys, cascading waterfalls, and rugged shorelines around Waipio Valley.
- Tour the historic plantation town of Kohala, then hike the Pololu Valley where you'll experience the breathtaking Kapoloa Falls.
- Cruise the coast in search of the local spinner dolphins on your way to a reef where you snorkel and see the tropical fish and coral reef.
- Go fishing in the billfish capital of the world. The calm, deep-sea fishing grounds off the coast of Kona are teeming with marlin, yellowfin tuna, mahi mahi, wahoo, and short-nose spearfish year-round.
- Play a round of golf on one of Hawaii's many beautiful waterfront courses. Some of the most challenging courses in the world are found on these islands.
Get a Taste of Local Flavor
Hawaii is famous for its Kona coffee. Just one taste of this rich, smooth coffee and you'll want to bring some home with you.
The official currency of the United States is the U.S. Dollar (USD).
Weather in Kailua Kona, Hawaii
|| 0 in
|| 0 cm
Before You Visit
Learn more about this port city with these tourist information guides.