Go wild on adventure with a wilderness escape that includes a scenic boat ride through Sitka Sound, an exhilarating off-road drive across Kruzof Island, plus a stop by a volcanic black-sand beach. You’ll have nearly five hours to explore Alaska’s untamed backwoods, starting with a motor boat ride across the calm waters of Sitka Sound. Admire coastal vistas back dropped by jagged peaks and sky-high evergreens while keeping your eye out for humpbacks, sea otters and bald eagles. After landing on nearby Kruzof Island, your expert guide will deliver a safety briefing and instruction on how to operate your two-person Yamaha RHINO all-terrain vehicle. Then hop in the driver’s seat and go off-roading through Tongass National Forest, America’s largest national forest. Wind your way along rugged trails amidst old growth forest and pass through the Iris Meadows estuary for the chance to see its colorful wildflowers and perhaps its resident Alaskan brown bears and Sitka black tail deer. Park your vehicle at the edge of North Beach to enjoy a relaxing walk along the black-sand shoreline, formed centuries ago by Mount Edgecumbe, a small dormant stratovolcano. Rejuvenate your energy with complimentary snacks and water beachside before making the return trip back to port.
• Sitka Sound: Look for Alaskan wildlife and enjoy panoramic coastal scenery while cruising by motor boat through this picturesque waterway.
• Kruzof Island: Take the wheel of a 4x4 all-terrain vehicle for an unforgettable drive through Tongass National Forest’s rugged wilderness.
• North Beach: Fuel up with complimentary snacks and water while relaxing on a black-sand beach formed by volcanic forces.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Sun protection
What to Wear:
• Hiking/walking shoes
• Hat and sunglasses
• Wind/water resistant jacket
• Guests must be able to climb 25-50 steps over uneven terrain and a high step onto the vessel.
• Guests must consider their physical fitness level and medical history when determining whether this tour is appropriate.
• Guests with pre-existing neck, back, knee and/or shoulder injuries, cardiac conditions, asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, other heart or respiratory conditions or any other medical condition must take particular caution when selecting a tour — particularly tours categorized as "strenuous".
• Guests who have concerns must consult with their personal physician before engaging in any activity that may be strenuous for them.
• Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour.
• Pregnant women and guests with back/neck problems should not select this tour.
• Guests prone to motion sickness should take precautions.
• Guests must sign a liability waiver to participate.
• Tour operates in all weather conditions. Appropriate weather gear recommended.
• The roundtrip boat ride is approximately 1 hour.
• Guests must be 18 years old to drive with a valid driver’s license.