Enjoy a combination of nature, ocean and mansions as this tour takes you along a portion of the spectacular Cliff Walk Trail followed by a visit to one of Newport's most elegant mansions. This tour involves approximately one hour of slow walking and distance is approximately 3/4 of a mile in length. Please note that it is recommend that guests book early as space is limited.
Enjoy a combination of nature, ocean and mansions as this tour takes you along a portion of the spectacular cliff walk trail followed by a visit to one of Newport’s most elegant mansions.
Cliff Walk – With New England’s rocky shore and crashing surf on one side and Newport’s most extravagant mansions on the other, the walk remains one of the top attractions in Newport and is taken by people of all ages. Your guide will be happy to share the stories of America’s Gilded Age and the cast of characters that made Newport one the nation’s wealthiest summer resorts.
The Breakers - The grandest of Newport's summer "cottages", The Breakers was commissioned Cornelius Vanderbilt II, Chairman and President of the New York Central Railroad. Inspired by the 16th century palaces of Genoa and Turin, the 70 room Italian Renaissance-style villa was designed by architect Richard Morris Hunt who directed an international team of craftsmen and artisans. Completed in 1895, the mansion is situated on a 13 acre estate overlooking a spectacular view of the rugged Atlantic Coastline.
- Guests should be in good physical condition to participate on this tour and must be able to walk approximately 1 mile over paved terrain, the Cliff Walk is a paved pathway with many steps, inclines/declines. This tour is not appropriate for guests with limited mobility.
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Tour may operate in reverse sequence.
- Due to the popularity of the Newport Mansions, please anticipate a wait of approximately 30 minutes.
- Tour may operate in reverse order.
Please note that it is recommend that guests book early as space is limited.