Snorkel alongside loggerhead sea turtles at Akumal Bay in water only 6 to 8 feet deep. After snorkeling, you can relax on a beautiful white sand beach where a BBQ lunch is served.
- Tender ride to and from the mainland
- Snorkel with loggerhead sea turtles
- BBQ lunch and drinks are included
Just across the channel, near the small coastal town of Akumal, lies one of the most incredible experiences of your lifetime. Here, like nowhere else in Cozumel or the Riviera Maya, sea turtles congregate to feed on the lush grasses of Akumal Bay. This excursion will take you there, and let you swim alongside these fantastic and graceful creatures of the seas.
You'll take a 45 minute ferry ride over to the mainland from Cozumel, and travel about 30 minutes south to Akumal Bay, where you'll snorkel in water only 6 to 8 feet deep where the barrier reef invites loggerhead sea turtles into the bay every day to feed. You can snorkel with these magnificent creatures for about 50 minutes at distances of 3-4 feet from them. You may also see manta rays and large schools of exotic fish. After snorkeling, you can relax on a beautiful white sand beach for 2 hours, where a BBQ lunch is served with complimentary drinks.
What to Bring:
- You should always take your SeaPass card (provided onboard the ship) and photo identification when in port
- Waterproof camera
- Towel (available onboard the ship)
- Cash (most stores accept US dollars and credit cards)
- Sunglasses, hat and biodegradable sun tan lotion
What to Wear:
- Wear your bathing suit
- To assist in preserving the sea turtles, only biodegradable sun tan lotion can be used and no physical contact is permitted with the sea turtles or other wild marine life.
- The ferry ride to and from Playa del Carmen takes about 45 minutes each way. Please note that inclement weather and rough seas may cause seasickness on the ferry ride, so guests should take the necessary precautions.
- Guests with heart conditions, epilepsy or asthma may not take part in this excursion. Guests must consider their physical fitness level and medical history when determining whether this tour is appropriate. Guests with cardiac conditions, asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, other heart or respiratory conditions or any other medical condition must take particular caution when selecting a tour with snorkeling/swimming elements, since such water activities could be subject to adverse sea conditions such as high winds, waves and sea current. Guests who have concerns must consult with their personal physician before engaging in any activity that may be strenuous for them, particularly those involving snorkeling/swimming elements.