Delve deep into authentic Mexican cultural traditions and flavors on a 2.5-hour trip to the Mayan Cacao Company, where you'll eat local dishes, and engage in Dia De Los Muertos rituals including an altar-decorating contest. A spread of delicious snacks awaits you at the Mayan Cacao Company. Sample flavored Mexican chocolate, sweet bread, masa-wrapped tamales, fried codzitos and more regional bites. Then step inside a traditional Mayan hut to experience the celebratory essence of Dia De Los Muertos, a national Mexican holiday that remembers the dead who have passed on. This ancient tradition dates to pre-Columbian times, and today local Mexicans honor their deceased loved ones and support their spiritual journey in a colorful way. See El Altar and how this offering space is packed with Aztec marigold flowers, decorative calavera skulls, candles, food, drinks, photos and personal mementos — you'll even have the chance to assemble your own memorial altar. You can get your face painted in true Calavera Catrina style and take home a souvenir magnet to commemorate your festive day in Cozumel.
This tour is provided by an operator that has been third-party certified to meet the Global Sustainable Tourism Council's Criteria for Tour Operators.
• Mayan Cacao Company: Savor a true taste of Mexico while sampling flavored chocolate, tamales, codzitos, and sweet bread.
• Dia De Los Muertos: Embrace the spirit of this Mexican holiday while learning about its ancient traditions and calavera skulls.
• El Altar: Compete in an altar-decorating contest in a Mayan hut, as you honor the deceased with flowers and candles.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Sun protection
• Insect repellent
What to Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Walking shoes
• Light clothing
• Guests must be able to walk approximately .2 miles over paved surfaces, with inclines and about 6 steps and extended periods of standing.
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour.
• This tour is not suitable for full-time wheelchair/motorized scooter users.
• Guests with concerns should consult their personal physician.
• Participation limited but minimum required for tour to operate.
• Tour sequence may vary.