Mt. Vesuvius & Pompeii Hike - NP16
OVERVIEW: Hike to the summit of Mt. Vesuvius for incredible views of the volcano's crater and the Bay of Naples. Then take a guided walking tour of Pompeii; one of the world's most amazing archaeological wonders.
HIGHLIGHTS: Hike the final 1,000 feet to the top of Mt. Vesuvius and enjoy the wonderful view from the rim. Explore Pompeii and see what Roman life was like in the 1st century AD.
NOTES: Guests must be able to walk approximately 2.5 miles over varying terrain. A portion of the route will be uphill so guests should be in good physical condition. Guests suffering from heart disease and high blood pressure should not participate on this excursion.
Ready to reserve this excursion?
Embark on an exhilarating adventure as you travel to the volcanic rim of Naples' Mount Vesuvius before scouring ruins of the ancient city of Pompeii. Join a guided 1,000-foot hike along the crater walls of one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the world, boasting a spectacular view of Naples below. Tour the archeological ruins of Pompeii, seeing uncovered artifacts and city buildings that were buried by volcanic ash and pumice stone in 79 AD.
Ready to reserve this excursion?
• Crater Hike: Set out on a dynamic 1,000-foot trek across Mount Vesuvius' volcanic crater walls, while admiring panoramic city views.
• Mount Vesuvius: The seemingly innocent mountain, located in a densely populated area, is still considered active and potentially dangerous.
• Pompeii: See architectural ruins and artifacts of an ancient Roman civilization at the site of the tragic 79 AD eruption.
• Cameo Factory: Visit the Cameo Factory to see delicately handmade souvenirs.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Sun protection
• Bottled water
What to Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Light clothing
• Hiking/walking shoes
• Guests must consider their physical fitness level and medical history when determining whether this tour is appropriate.
• Guests with pre-existing neck, back, knee and/or shoulder injuries, cardiac conditions, asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, other heart or respiratory conditions or any other medical condition must take particular caution when selecting a tour - particularly tours categorized as "strenuous".
• Guests who have concerns must consult with their personal physician before engaging in any activity that may be strenuous for them.
• Guests in wheelchairs and others with mobility challenges must not select this tour.
• Pregnant women and guests with back/neck problems must not select this tour.
• Guests suffering from heart disease and high blood pressure must not select this tour.
• Guests must be able to walk approximately 2-1/2 miles over varying terrain, including strenuous uphill routes to summit.
• Guests must be able to walk approximately 1-1/2 miles over cobblestones and uneven ground in Pompeii with a steep incline at entrance with 20-25 steps. Guests should use caution when walking across hardened lava and rocky ground where fumes and heat exude. Participants should be aware that there are certain inherent risks involved with any hiking excursion.
• Drive between Naples and Pompeii and approximately 30 minutes each way.
• If Mt. Vesuvius closed due to bad weather, an orientation drive of Naples will be substituted.
• Tour sequence may vary.
• For security reasons, it is forbidden to enter inside Pompeii excavations with big bags, backpacks or trolleys. Please be aware that lockers are not available at the entrance of the excavations.