This isn?t your typical horse: the Shetland pony is a unique breed that originated in the Shetland Islands ? and this is your chance to spend a short time meeting and learning about these animals while touring a local, family-run stud farm. You?ll start out in Lerwick, the capital of Shetland: Considered Mainland?s cultural and social hub, this town is known for its busy harbor, narrow main street, Old Norse roots and 18th-century sandstone buildings. On a 20-minute coach ride north of Lerwick, you?ll enjoy views of landscapes dappled with rolling hills, craggy North Sea shorelines, wildflower meadows and rural crofting communities. Upon arrival at a local Gott Pony ranch, you?ll spend approximately 20 minutes gaining insight from an expert about the breeding practices of their ponies, as well as these creatures? distinctive characteristics ? shaggy coats, flowing manes, short legs, good temperament and supreme intelligence. You might even snap a few photos of the Shetland ponies before returning to your ship.
• Lerwick: Shetland?s capital also serves as the region?s only real town, renowned for its busy port and herring trade industry.
• Mainland Shetland: Admire scenes of verdant farmland, rocky coastline and picturesque villages on a motor coach ride across the island.
• Gott Ponies: Meet these highly intelligent and mild-tempered animals while touring a family-run stud farm set in the Shetland countryside.
• THIS TOUR IS OPERATED BY A TOUR OPERATOR THAT HAS BEEN THIRD-PARTY VERIFIED TO AN INTERNATIONALLY RECOGNIZED SUSTAINABILITY STANDARD.
What To Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Sun protection
• Local currency
What To Wear:
• Walking shoes
• Hat and sunglasses
• Warm clothes
• Layered clothing
• Wet weather gear
• Guests must be able to walk over uneven surfaces, with inclines and extended periods of standing.
• Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour.
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• Guests prone to motion sickness should take precautions.
• Participation limited but minimum required for tour to operate.
• Tour operates in all weather conditions. Appropriate weather gear recommended.
• Tour sequence may vary.