OVERVIEW: Enjoy several highlights of Funchal including tasting Madeira's famous wine and the lovely botanical gardens.
HIGHLIGHTS: Stroll through the vibrant local market. Visit an embroidery shop to see how traditional Madeira embroidery is made. Enjoy tasting delicious local wines at a Madeira wine lodge. Take a cable car ride with a wonderful view of Funchal and the harbor. Visit "Our Lady of Monte" church and enjoy a walk through the lovely Botanical Gardens.
NOTES: Guests must be able to walk approx. 400 yards over even and cobblestone surfaces, slight inclines, and 40 - 50 steps.
Enjoy several highlights of Funchal including tasting Madeira’s famous wine and the lovely botanical gardens.
- Local Market: Stroll through the vibrant marketplace.
- Embroidery Shop: See how traditional Madeira embroidery is made.
- Cable Car Ride: Have a wonderful view of Funchal and the harbor.
- Monte: Visit "Our Lady of Monte" church.
- Botanical Gardens: Enjoy a walk through the lovely garden and admire the panoramic view.
You’ll start your tour with a walk through Funchal’s local market and take in the colorful display of subtropical fruit, vegetables, flowers, and fish. Next, you’ll visit an embroidery shop where you can admire delicate and traditional Madeira embroidery.
Visit a wine lodge and enjoy a taste of Madeira’s world famous wine before arriving in the small village of Monte which is perched up in the hills overlooking Funchal which you’ll have time to explore.
Board a cable car and ride to the botanical gardens. Along the way, you will have a spectacular view of Funchal, the bay and the River of João Gomes.
Then, take a relaxing stroll through the botanical gardens. It is a lovely setting, filled with thousands of beautiful plants and colorful flowers. The garden includes a few small shops and a restaurant which offers a wonderful view of Funchal.
What to Bring:
-You should always take your SeaPass card (provided onboard ship) and photo identification when in port
-Camera and local currency
What to Wear:
- Comfortable walking shoes and warm clothing are recommended.
- Guests must be able to walk approximately 400 yards over even and cobblestone surfaces, slight inclines, and 40 - 50 steps.
- The cable car is not suitable for passengers with walking difficulties, as access is similar to a ski lift which slows down but does not completely stop for boarding.
- We cannot guarantee that “Our Lady of Monte” church will be open on Sundays and public holidays.
- The market is closed Saturdays afternoon, Sundays and public holidays.
- Tour order may vary but all sites will be covered.
- Visibility from all scenic outlooks is dependent upon the weather and therefore cannot be guaranteed.