OVERVIEW: This tour is designed for those guests who are already familiar with Olympia and want to rediscover the site on their own or for those guests who desire more time to sightsee at their leisure at the archeological site or museum.
HIGHLIGHTS: Enjoy a scenic ride and an independent visit to Ancient Olympia, where you'll have a chance to explore, shop or relax at your own pace. At the designated time and place, your return coach will be waiting to return you to the ship.
NOTES: Tour provides only round trip transportation to/from the port to Olympia and does not include meals, entrance fees or guide services.
This tour is designed for those guests who are already familiar with Olympia and want to rediscover the site on their own or for those guests who desire more time to sightsee at their leisure at the archeological site or museum.
-Olympia: Enjoy approximately 3 hours free time in Ancient Olympia
Your journey begins in Katakolon, a charming fishing village on the Ionian Coast. Enjoy a brief scenic drive from Katakolon through small villages along the way to the town of Olympia. Upon arrival in Olympia, your escort will designate a meeting time and place and then you will have approximately 3 hours to explore the archeological site or the Archaeological Museum of Olympia.
Ancient Olympia is the archaeological site of the first Olympic Games in 776 BC and is the site where the Olympic flame is rekindled and carried to the next game's host site every four years. The Olympic Games were held at this site until 393 BC when the emperor prohibited pagan festivals and eventually ordered the temples to be destroyed. In the 6th century, earthquakes completed the ravages of man and successive floods gradually buried what was left of the sacred land, preserving it until archaeologists brought it back to life in 1875.
In the museum, you will find a unique collection of Greek sculpture, including the famous Hermes of Praxiteles. Also contained there are many other artifacts including ancient pieces of armor and bronze figurines, unearthed during many excavations over the years.
What to Bring:
- You should always take your SeaPass card (provided onboard the ship) and photo identification when in port
- You will need Euros or credit cards for your purchases (foreign currencies are not accepted).
What to Wear:
-Comfortable, closed toed walking shoes are recommended.
-Sun protection and sunglasses
- This tour is designed for independent exploration and there provides only round trip transportation to/from the port to Olympia and does not include meals, entrance fees or guide services.
- An escort will be on the coach to/from Olympia.
- If you should miss the return coach, transportation back to the vessel will be your responsibility and expense.
- The amount of walking over rocky and uneven surfaces at the archeological site is at each guest’s discretion. Due to traffic regulations in Olympia Town, coaches will park approximately 0.80 mile from the city center. Additional walking is required.
-Ancient Olympia site is not wheelchair accessible.