Explore a complete Bronze Age town that was buried in pumice and lost to time by the ancient eruption that transformed Santorini. Archeological work is ongoing at the site, which was unearthed in 1967.
NOTES: Guests must be able to walk approximately 1 mile over varying terrain, inclines and 20-30 steps.
Explore the once flourishing Minoan culture of Santorini, frozen in time at Akrotiri. Join a guided tour for the rare opportunity to walk through the archaeological site of a Bronze Age town more than three millennia old, sealed within ashen pumice of the island's volcanic 1450 BC eruption, and excavated in 1967. Then visit the nearby village of Akrotiri and tour one of five fortified settlements from medieval times before free time in Fira.
• Akrotiri Excavations: Stroll cobblestone streets in an actual Bronze Age town and peer into remarkably preserved shops and houses.
• Akrotiri Village: Peer into Santorini's medieval past at one of five fortified settlements.
• Fira: Visit the hilltop, pedestrian-only town for shopping or fun; take the cable car down to your return tender.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash (Euros)/credit cards
• Sun protection
What to Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Comfortable shoes
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• Special Offer for reduced pricing applies to select Mediterranean tours that are booked May 3-31, 2016. Tours must be booked prior to cruise departure date. Offer is subject to availability and applies to new tour bookings.
• Foreign currencies not accepted in many venues.
• Guests must be able to walk approximately one mile over varying terrain, inclines and 20-30 steps.
• Guests must be able to walk one-half mile in Fira on their own to reach cable car.
• Guests must be able to walk uphill for 450 feet to reach Mitropolis church.
• One-way cable car ticket from Fira to tender loading included.
• Expect waiting and queuing time at cable car station.
• Some stores in Fira closed in October and November.
• Tour sequence may vary.
• In addition to English this tour is offered in French, German, Italian and Spanish.
• A minimum of 20 guests is needed for the tour to run in a different language.