Set off on foot for an up-close and personal look at Alesund. In 1904, a catastrophic fire left the city in ashes and over 10,000 people homeless. Rebuilt and reborn in Art Nouveau style, using materials from all over Europe, today the city is a shining example of Norwegian resiliency. See the colorful architecture of the city center, and then explore the historic harbor for a look at Alesund's deep ties to the sea.
This guided tour is your opportunity to experience one of the last remaining Art Nouveau cities. Perched on seven coastal islands connected by canals and bordered by fjords and mountains, this centuries-old seaport is awash in bright colors and rich in decorative architecture. Stroll through Old Town and the picturesque fishing harbor, steeped in maritime tradition, as your guide shares local history and lore, including Alesund’s valiant recovery and rebuilding after a devastating 1904 fire.
• Guided Walk: Discover the rich maritime heritage and historic town center of a city built on seven tiny islands.
• Nordic Art Nouveau: Restored after a 1904 fire, Alesund is now one of the last examples of this architecture.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
What to Wear:
• Weather-appropriate clothing
• Walking shoes
• Hat and sunglasses
• Kids Tour Free: Offer applies to select tours conducted between 5/1/16 and 8/31/16. With the purchase of one adult ticket for a qualifying tour, receive one complimentary child ticket for the same tour. Offer applies to tours purchased up to two days prior to cruise departure: the complimentary ticket will be issued in the form of an onboard credit (“OBC”) in the amount of the child ticket price. Child must be 12 years of age or under. Ticketed adult and child must be booked in the same stateroom. Selection of qualifying tours vary by sailing and port. Offer and tours are subject to availability. OBC will be applied to the guest's folio, is not redeemable for cash, is non-transferrable, and will expire at 10:00PM on the final night of the sailing. No tour substitutions.
• Guests must consider their physical fitness level and medical history when determining whether this tour is appropriate. Guests with pre-existing neck, back, knee and/or shoulder injuries, cardiac conditions, asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, other heart or respiratory conditions or any other medical condition must take particular caution when selecting a tour - particularly tours categorized as "strenuous". Guests who have concerns must consult with their personal physician before engaging in any activity that may be strenuous for them.
• Guests must be able to walk approximately 2 miles over paved and cobblestone inclined surfaces.
• Guests under 16 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
• Tour order may vary.