Be introduced to Nordic Walking, a traditional Finnish fitness activity and to Finland's capital. Meet your guide at the ship and receive your gear along with a demonstration of Nordic Walking techniques. After brief warm-up exercises, begin your relaxed approximately 5 mile walk into the center of Helsinki passing along dedicated walking paths, past city parks, waterfront districts, residential and commercial areas. Along the way you will see the Market Square, Senate Squrare and green park area,the Parliament and the Contemporary Art Museum, Kiasma. Conclude at the downtown Shuttle Bus stop and return directly to the ship, or remain independently in the city.
See the sights and get a total-body workout on this power tour of Finland's capital. Developed by Finnish cross-country skiers, Nordic Walking uses specially designed ski poles that engage the upper body for an energizing walking workout. You'll travel a five-mile circuit through seaside Kaivopuisto Park and Market
Square's market; see Senate Square's Government Palace and Helsinki Cathedral; pass the Art Nouveau Parliament building and the dramatic curved exterior of Kiasma Contemporary Art Museum.
• Nordic Walking: This Finnish original uses special ski poles that engage the upper body for an energizing, total-body workout.
• City Squares: Visit the bustling market of Market Square and Senate Square's Government Palace and Lutheran Cathedral.
• Kaivopuisto and Kiasma: Nordic-Walk your way past the park's flowers and greenery; admire the dramatic design of the art museum.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Backpack for belongings and water
What to Wear:
• Weather-appropriate loose-fitting clothing
• Hiking/walking shoes
• Guests must consider their physical fitness level and medical history when determining whether this tour is appropriate. Guests with pre-existing neck, back, knee and/or shoulder injuries, cardiac conditions, asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, other heart or respiratory conditions or any other medical condition must take particular caution when selecting a tour - particularly tours categorized as "strenuous". Guests who have concerns must consult with their personal physician before engaging in any activity that may be strenuous for them.
• Walk covers approximately five miles over two hours, depending on speed, fitness and ability of group members.
• Nordic Walking poles will be provided.
• Guests should be aware that there are certain inherent risks involved in any hiking/walking excursion.
• Guests must be at least five feet tall to participate.
• Tour order may vary.
• Guests have the option to stay in the city after returning equipment.