Come along on a three and a half-hour, wheelchair accessible van trip around the captivating island of Antigua that packs in historic Nelson's Dockyard, Dow's Hill iInterpretation Center, and panoramic harbor views from Shirley Heights lookout. In a small group of six fellow explorers, you'll head out in a vehicle equipped with an electric chair lift on a narrated sightseeing adventure. Your tour takes you on a ride through Antigua's countryside, rich in daily West Indian life, local villages, old churches, that exemplifies West Indian culture, past the magnificent view of Falmouth Harbour through to English Harbour and Nelson's Dockyard. At Nelson's Dockyard, rife with British Royal Naval history dating back to 1725, you'll be led by a national park guide on a short walking tour past restored Georgian-styled buildings to see where seamen ate and officers slept. You'll also enjoy free time to explore the onsite stores, museum and gift shops. Then stop by Dow's Hill to watch a multimedia presentation that showcases the area's culture and heritage from prehistoric times to today. Top off the day at Shirley Heights, a former signal station and gun battery boasting the best views of Antigua, the Dockyard and English Harbour you'll find anywhere.
• Antigua: Travel with a small group in a wheelchair-accessible van along rainforest roadways and coastal trails across this tropical isle.
• Nelson's Dockyard: A short walking tour led by a national park guide features Georgian architecture amid this Royal Naval relic.
• Dow's Hill & Shirley Heights: Explore Antiguan culture and history at Dow's Hill before taking in panoramic island views at a military lookout.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Sun protection
What to Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Walking shoes
• Light clothing
• Guests must be able to walk approximately .2 miles over flat surfaces, with inclines and about 6 steps and extended periods of standing.
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• This tour is designed for those guests who are full time wheelchair users.
• Space permitting, guests with walking difficulties will be accommodated, as well as those unable to handle steps or extended periods of walking or standing.
• The vehicle used on this excursion is adapted with an access ramp (or lift where available) to accommodate a limited number of wheelchairs.
• In order to use the ramp and/or lift, guests must be seated in a wheelchair or scooter.
• Due to liability issues, participants cannot stand on the ramp to be lifted into the vehicle.
• Tour must be booked in advance of the cruise in order to secure equipment and departure time.
• Guests interested in this tour must contact in advance of the cruise the Shore Excursions Department at firstname.lastname@example.org to review full details on this tour and availability.
• Guests wishing to utilize a wheelchair (manual or electric) on this excursion must provide the total dimensions (height, length and width) and weight of the electric scooter or wheelchair at the time of booking to email@example.com.
• Use of a motorized scooter is not guaranteed on this excursion.
• Please note that this information is subject to change and availability is not guaranteed.
• This tour can only be secured in advance of the cruise on a first come-first served basis.
• Guests needing special assistance must be accompanied by an able-bodied companion.
• Space is limited but a minimum participation is required in order for the tour to operate.
• Tour sequence may vary.