Discover the wonders of one of the world's most famous archaeological sites, the ancient fortress city of Petra, half-built/half-carved from rock and towering cliffs. Founded by Nabateans more than 2,000 years ago at the crossroads of Arabia, Egypt and Syria-Phoenicia, Petra derived its wealth from the caravan trade. Its spectacular construction - reflecting eastern, Hellenistic and later Roman influences - is considered an unparalleled masterpiece of sculpted art. Petra's remote mountain location kept it hidden for centuries.
• Siq: Walk through this tall winding gorge that forms the dramatic entrance to the ancient trading city founded by Nabateans.
• Architectural Marvels: The spectacular Treasury, towering temples, tombs, a Roman theater, homes and more are carved/built from the rose-hued rock.
• Lunch and Shopping: Recharge over a buffet lunch at a nearby hotel and some free time to browse for souvenirs.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Sun protection
• Bottled water
What to Wear:
• Lightweight clothing
• Comfortable walking shoes
• Hat and sunglasses
• Guests must consider their physical fitness level and medical history when determining whether this tour is appropriate. Guests with pre-existing neck, back, knee and/or shoulder injuries, cardiac conditions, asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, other heart or respiratory conditions or any other medical condition must take particular caution when selecting a tour - particularly tours categorized as "strenuous". Guests who have concerns must consult with their personal physician before engaging in any activity that may be strenuous for them.
• Guest must be able to walk about 3 miles (5 km) over uneven terrain and gravel.
• Tour also involves long periods of standing.
• The transfer from Aqaba is about 2 hours each way.
• Restrooms are available on the motor coaches and at the visitor's center.