Uncover the secrets of Mayan cacao, the Melipona Bee and sample tequila—all in one quick, but entertaining tour. At the Mayan Cacao Company, discover the history of chocolate and learn how it formed such a central role in Mayan social and religious life. See the manufacturing process, participate in a demonstration, and sample delicious artisanal chocolate. Head towards the Mayan Bee Sanctuary and discover the importance the sacred stingless Melipona Bees had in the Mayan culture. Open your eyes to a new landscape surrounded by lush vegetation and a small cenote as the bees interact in their natural space. Not only are Melipona bees essential for the pollination of crops and environmental balance but also key to Mayan traditions and believes. Learn about the benefits and properties of the bee’s marvelous golden liquid in its different presentations as you enjoy a small tasting. Then visit a Tequila Place and learn about the making of this traditional Mexican beverage and take part in a tequila tasting.
• Mayan Cacao Company: Learn about chocolate, its origins, manufacturing process, and take part in a demonstration.
• Mayan Bee Sanctuary: Learn about the importance of the Melipona Bee to the Mayan civilization; sacred, endangered and stinger-less.
• Tequila: Learn about the history of tequila, watch the tequila-making process, and sample tequila.
• THIS TOUR IS OPERATED BY A TOUR OPERATOR THAT HAS BEEN THIRD-PARTY VERIFIED TO AN INTERNATIONALLY RECOGNIZED SUSTAINABILITY STANDARD.
What To Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Sun protection
• Cash/credit cards (cash preferred)
• Insect repellent
What To Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Walking shoes
• Mayan Cacao Company is wheelchair accessible, the Tequila Place is not.
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting this tour.
• The order of the stops may vary.
• Guest must be of legal age to consume alcohol.