Discover a treasure trove of Portuguese history, culture and flavors on a four-hour fully guided stroll around Funchal that includes green gardens, Madeira wine tasting, the market area and Old Town exploration. Hit the road on foot alongside a friendly and knowledgeable local guide for a street-side trip around the capital city of Portugal's Madeira archipelago. In Santa Catarina Park you'll wander pathways lined with flowerbeds and trees from all over the world. Stand in front of centuries-old Funchal Cathedral to admire its predominant gothic style. Enter the cellar of Blandy's Wine Lodge to explore 200 years of Madeira wine, from growing the grapes to storing and bottling the wine, before sipping a glass of your own fortified wine. Soak in the sights, sounds and aromas of the Farmers' Market where local merchants sell, flowers, fruits, vegetables and fresh fish. Among the historic cobblestone streets of Old Town you'll delight in about 40 minutes of free time to admire 15th-century buildings and the town's famous painted doors, or you might go souvenir shopping or dine on authentic Madeiran cuisine. Meet back up with the group for a motor coach drive back to your ship.
• Funchal: Take a guided walk through Santa Catarina Park's lovely gardens and past the striking Funchal Cathedral.
• Blandy's Wine Lodge: Savor a “vine to wine” cellar tour, learning about Madeira's wine-making legacy and sipping local varietals.
• Old Town: Cobblestone streets lead you to bustling Farmers' Market stalls plus free time to wander, explore and shop.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Sun protection
What to Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Walking shoes
• Light sweater or pullover
• Guests must be able to walk approximately 1.06 miles over cobblestone surfaces, with inclines and about 65 steps and extended periods of standing.
• Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour.
• Guests with back/neck problems should not select this tour.
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• Guests with concerns should consult their personal physician.
• The market is closed on Saturday afternoons, Sundays and public holidays.
• Tour includes exterior view of cathedral. Should the church be open, guests can quietly visit the interior.
• Guide will designate a time and place to rejoin your coach for return to ship.
• Guests who miss the return transportation will be responsible for getting back to the ship.
• Tour sequence may vary.