Give back on your vacation with a rewarding volunteer experience in Montego Bay, where you’ll assist in a local homeless outreach program. At the Open Heart Charitable Mission—home to a care center and the Refuge of Hope night shelter—men and women from the community who are in need receive lodging, prayer services, basic healthcare, literacy and life skills instruction.
Here, you’ll engage in a tree-planting ceremony, where you’ll plant vegetables and other plants that will ultimately be used to feed the mission’s denizens. You can also participate in the rehabilitation program by interacting with local residents through reading books, playing games, making craft items, and helping to distribute new clothing and bathing supplies. Then assist in the preparation and service of a hot meal in the mission’s kitchen, where three meals a day are served seven days a week. A brief stop will be made on the way back to Falmouth where guests may purchase a Jamaican patty and a Ting, a true local's treat.
• Tree Planting: The trees and vegetables you plant at the Open Heart Charitable Mission will eventually feed its local denizens.
• Homeless Outreach: Interact with the community by reading, playing games, and distributing clothing at the Refuge of Hope night shelter.
• Soup Kitchen Service: Prepare and serve a hot meal to men, women, and families who are in need.
What To Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Sun protection
• Insect Repellent What To Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Closed-toe, walking shoes (no sandals) Important Notes:
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• Pregnant women and guests with back/neck problems should not select this tour.
• Consider dietary restrictions and food allergies when selecting this tour.