Watch Guatemala's colonial spirit come alive on a 5.5-hour adventure that brings you from the 18th-century Casa Popenoe to an artifact-packed Jade Museum, plus enjoy free time to explore Antigua's city landmarks. Enter the sumptuous surroundings of Casa Popenoe, a colonial estate built in the 18th century by the botanist responsible for bringing avocados to America. Admire period furniture accented by fine artwork and a garden teeming with colorful flowers and curative plants. Learn about age-old Guatemalan cooking traditions in the kitchen while sipping wine and nibbling on cheese. Moving on to a local Jade Museum, you'll trace 3,000 years of Mesoamerican history through a collection of pre-Columbian art. You'll also learn about the folklore surrounding jade stones and how they've been used to create stunning jewelry for centuries. Finally, take a narrated tour around Antigua, a UNESCO World Heritage Centre where you'll find a tree-covered Central Park and the Arch of Santa Catalina, with its spiritual secrets. Free time is yours to savor a Guatemalan meal before the return trip back to port.
• Casa Popenoe: Gain exclusive entry into an 18th-century colonial home, delighting in its antiques, artwork, gardens and local delicacies.
• Jade Museum: A collection of Colonial art and fine jewelry tells the story of locals extending back to pre-Columbian times.
• Antigua: Enjoy a guided tour of this UNESCO-listed city's churches and parks before freely discovering its culinary scene.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Sun protection
What to Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Light sweater or pullover
• Walking shoes
• Guests must be able to walk over cobblestone surfaces, with inclines and steps and extended periods of standing.
• Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour.
• Guests must be of legal age to consume alcohol.
• Water will be available for guests who will not want to drink alcohol.
• Guide will designate a time and place to rejoin your coach for return to ship.
• Guests who miss the return transportation will be responsible for getting back to the ship.
• The drive between Antigua and pier is approximately 90 minutes.
• Tour sequence may vary.