Discover the illustrious history and mighty military fortresses of the Musandam Peninsula while on a 3.5-hour, fully-guided tour that lets you explore Khasab Fort and Bukha Fort, plus Khasab's city center. Your narrative bus ride takes you on a route through the center of Khasab, capital of Oman's Musandam Peninsula. Learn about a port city that was built by the Portuguese in the 17th century while passing its old souk market, coffeehouses and shopping promenades. Then enter Khasab Fort, a Portuguese-constructed citadel dating back to the 1600s. See old wooden boats bedecked in cowrie shells in the courtyard before stepping inside the ethnographic museum to trace Musandam's geology, history and culture. The adventure continues in the wilayat of Bukha, where you'll take a walk around Bukha Fort. This 16th-century relic has been fully renovated and offers commanding views of the Strait of Hormuz. Stand before its numerous watchtowers, taking in panoramic views of the rugged mountains and tranquil beachfront scenery on either side of the fort.
• Khasab: Take a commentated coach drive around the Musandam Peninsula's capital town, learning about its 17th-century beginnings.
• Khasab Fort: Stone turrets, stately crenellations, wooden boats, and a small artifact-packed museum encompass this Portuguese-built bastion.
• Bukha Fort: Standing tall between the mountains and beach, this 16th-century fortress' watchtowers prevail over the Strait of Hormuz.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Sun protection
What to Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Walking shoes
• Guests must be able to walk approximately .5 miles over uneven surfaces, with inclines and several steps and extended periods of standing.
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour.
• Guests with concerns should consult their personal physician.
• Tour sequence may vary.