Delve into a Cretan cultural experience that includes guided sightseeing at Lake Kournas, the Arkadi Monastery and the bustling town of Rethymnon. First stop is at Lake Kournas, where you'll savor a delicious treat of traditional cheese pie with honey, among white sands and ancient olive trees. Next up is a tour of the fortress-like monastery, whose history dates to Byzantine times. Finish with a stroll through distinctively ancient yet distinctly modern Rethymnon.
• Lake Kournas: Prepare for extraordinary views and stop for a treat of sfakiani, a traditional cheese pie with honey.
• Arkadi Monastery: Visit this intriguing cluster of centuries-old, fortress-like buildings on a sacred site existing since the Byzantine era.
• Rethymnon: Take a guided walk through the streets of an ancient town with well-preserved Venetian and Ottoman architecture.
What To Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Sun protection
What To Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Comfortable shoes
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• Guests must be able to walk approximately two miles over various surfaces of gravel paths, cobblestones and rough paths with steps and inclines.
• No tank tops or shorts at monastery.
• Foreign currencies not accepted in most venues.
• Drive to Lake Kournas approximately 30 minutes.
• Return drive from Rethymnon approximately one hour.
• In addition to English this tour is offered in French, German, Italian and Spanish.
• A minimum of 20 guests is needed for the tour to run in a different language.