Enjoy a three-hour, fully-guided trip around Kochi that includes the sacred spaces of Chikurinji Temple, the blooming paradise of Makino Botanical Garden, plus a sightseeing drive past Kochi Castle and Harimaya Bridge. High atop Mount Godai sits Chikurinji Temple, an 8th-century pilgrimage site where the famous Buddhist monk Kobo Daishi once trained. Explore this Shingon temple's five-story pagoda, where a collection of Buddhist statues adorns the treasure hall. Then step outside for a serene walk through Makino Botanical Garden, which was established by Tomitaro Makino, known as the "Father of Japanese Botany." Here you'll find some 3,000 species of plants including rhododendrons, chrysanthemums, medicinal floras, East Asian ornamentals and a conservatory teeming with tropicals. On the drive back to the pier you'll catch a passing glimpse of Kochi Castle, a feudal citadel dating back to the 1600s, plus see Harimaya Bridge, which holds its own legendary significance surrounded by a blighted love story.
• Chikurinji Temple: Explore an 8th-century, mountaintop Shingon shrine known for its Buddhist statues, five-story pagoda and pilgrimage prominence.
• Makino Botanical Garden: Discover 3,000 species of plants in a peaceful green space designed by the "Father of Japanese Botany."
• Kochi: Enjoy a narrated sightseeing drive through downtown past the 17th-century Kochi Castle and the bright-red Harimaya Bridge.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Local currency
• Sun protection
• Bottled water
What to Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Walking shoes
• Guests must be able to walk approximately .3 miles over pebbled surfaces, with inclines and about 70 steps and extended periods of standing.
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour.
• Guests with concerns should consult their personal physician.
• Foreign currencies not accepted in many venues.
• Participation limited but minimum required for tour to operate.
• Tour sequence may vary.