This 5.5-hour Grecian outing not only gives you the chance to discover the ancient site of the Olympic Games and explore the Archaeological Museum's treasures, but you'll also savor authentic Greek food and wine at Magna Grecia family farm. You'll first comb the crumbling ruins of Olympia, the ancient site where the original Olympic Games were held back in 776 BCE. See what remains of the athletic training facilities, the stadium where contests occurred, and temples dedicated to Greek gods. Then step inside the Archaeological Museum to peruse themed exhibits displaying an impressive collection of bronzes, terracottas, sculptures and other artifacts spanning some 3,500 years back. When it's time for lunch there's no better place to enjoy an authentic taste of Greece than at Magna Grecia, a four-generation family-owned farm. Walk the grounds with a local guide, learning how they grow olives and grapes for tasty olive oil and fine wine. Then sit down to a Greek-style meal featuring bruschetta tirocafteri, sausages, fresh seasonal vegetables, homemade tzatziki, black Kalamata olives, feta cheese, and sweet baklava. Raise your glass of wine, toasting to the traditional Greek music and Sirtaki folk dances swirling around in the background.
This tour is provided by an operator that has been third-party certified to meet the Global Sustainable Tourism Council's Criteria for Tour Operators.
• Olympia: Explore the Olympic Games' original site, viewing ancient ruins of athletic facilities dating back to the 8th century BC.
• Archaeological Museum: Admire a marvelous assortment of bronzes, terracottas and other excavated sculptures ranging from prehistory to the Roman times.
• Magna Grecia: Tour the family-owned groves and indulge in authentic Greek delicacies and locally-made wine in festive rural ambience.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Sun protection
What to Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Walking shoes
• Guests must be able to walk approximately 2 miles over uneven and gravel surfaces, with inclines and about 7 steps and extended periods of standing.
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour.
• Guests needing special assistance must be accompanied by an able-bodied companion.
• Guests with concerns should consult their personal physician.
• Guests must be of legal age to consume alcohol.
• The drive between port and Olympia is approximately 45 minutes.
• Tour sequence may vary.