Start your journey by visiting Tallinn's historic landmarks in the Upper Old Town. Admire the art and golden icons inside Alexander Nevsky Cathedral and the spectacular coats of arms in the St. Mary's cathedral. Travel outside of the capital to one of Estonia's oldest towns to visit the ruins of the distinguished 13th-century castle of Rakvere. After a scenic bus ride get ready for an adventure in medieval Rakvere. You'll tour the hilltop Rakvere Castle, still protected by its watchtower and cannon, and see the bronze statue called "Tarvas". Learn about the fascinating history and experience a medieval adventure by visiting hidden cellars and exhibits in the courtyard. Taste some local vodka and then relax over lunch in a castle courtyard inn.
This tour is provided by an operator that has been third-party certified to meet the Global Sustainable Tourism Council's Criteria for Tour Operators.
• Tallinn Old Town: Enjoy beautiful views from high above the city and visit Alexander Nevsky and St. Mary's cathedrals.
• Rakvere Castle: See the cannon of this 13th-century fortress (party ruined) and enjoy lunch at an inn on its courtyard.
What To Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
What To Wear:
• Weather-appropriate clothing
• Walking shoes
• Guests must consider their physical fitness level and medical history when determining whether this tour is appropriate. Guests with pre-existing neck, back, knee and/or shoulder injuries, cardiac conditions, asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, other heart or respiratory conditions or any other medical condition must take particular caution when selecting a tour - particularly tours categorized as "strenuous". Guests who have concerns must consult with their personal physician before engaging in any activity that may be strenuous for them.
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.Guests in wheelchairs and others with mobility challenges should not select this tour.
• Guests must be able to walk approximately 1-1/4 miles over uneven surfaces, with more than 100 steps.
• No exposed shoulders or knees in churches.
• No photography or video recording permitted inside cathedrals and churches.
• St. Mary's Cathedral closed to tours on Sundays and during religious events and holidays; exterior views only.
• For cathedrals, guides gives commentary outside; guests then enter quietly on their own.
• Time permitting, guests will have approximately 20 minutes for shopping and browsing at Rakvere Castle.
• Drive to and from Rakvere approximately 90 minutes each way. Guests must be of legal age to consume alcohol.
• Inside visit to Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is possible after 10:00 am.