The One Thing You Don't Want to Miss
Visit the Caribbean’s largest barrier reef, the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef. Lying just offshore, it's a favorite spot for divers and snorkelers to see colorful corals and an amazing array of marine life.
Other Fun Things to Do
- Wander through Carambola Botanical Gardens in Sandy Bay and take in the sights and scents surrounding you. Or visit Gumbalimba Preservation Park, where you may see parrots, iguana and monkeys that live in the wild
- Snorkel the crystal clear waters to experience stunning coral reefs in beautiful bays
- Dive to discover Roatán’s shipwrecks and aquatic life such as sea turtles, dolphins and whales
- Enjoy a great catch: Fish for marlin, barricuda, tuna, wahoo and mahi-mahi off the reef
- Jump on the Extreme Caribe Zip Line Tour to experience one of the most breathtaking adventures on the island
- Enjoy the beauty and serenity of powder-white sand beaches and crystal-turquoise water
Shopping for Bargains
French Harbour and West Bay offer Central American arts and crafts, brightly-painted pottery, wood carvings (notably wooden instruments), costume jewelry, tee-shirts, cigars and clothing. Basketry, embroidery, textile arts and leathercrafts are also great shopping items in Roatán.
Indulge in complementary rum and rum cake treats at the Roatán Rum Company while overlooking the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean.
Get a Taste of Local Flavor
With the highest concentration of restaurants located in West End and West Bay, you will find traditional island food as well as delicious "North American" offerings and plentiful seafood.
Enjoy the relaxed atmosphere, friendly local service and Caribbean charm of restaurants in Roatán. With the highest concentration of restaurants located in West End and West Bay, you can enjoy an ocean view at sunset as you drink a salva vida (a local beer meaning "life saver"), or a local cocktail such as the monkey lala. After the sun sets, dine on fresh local seafood or gourmet international cuisine as you enjoy the sights and sounds of the Caribbean sea.
The US dollar (US$) is generally accepted all over the island; however, your change is mostly given in Honduran lempiras.
- Frommer’s recently highlighted Roatán in their Undiscovered Caribbean Islands: Insiders’ Guide
- The HGTV show House Hunters International has now featured Roatán in a handful of episodes over the past three years
- Islands Magazine listed Roatán as one of the Best Islands to Retire On
- TripAdvisor named Roatán one of the Top 5 Beach Destinations in Central America
Weather in Roatan, Honduras
|| 0 in
|| 0 cm