The One Thing You Don't Want to Miss
Ponta Delgada and the rest of the Azores are idyllic islands that make the most of their locale. Take the time to explore the beautiful culture and history of the islands and their proud inhabitants.
Other Fun Things to Do
- Visit a pineapple plantation, see the vast greenhouses and learn about the complete process of cultivating and marketing the fruit.
- Explore the old Portuguese town of Ribeira Grande, noted for being the largest and oldest city on the north coast.
- Visit one of the most interesting natural phenomena in the Azores, the hot springs, composed of 23 mineral springs spewing hot water in a sulfur-laden atmosphere.
- Marvel at the view of Fire Lake from the summit of Pico da Barrosa Mountain, said to be the most beautiful on the island.
- Explore the center of the extinct crater, Sete Cidades, 1,900 feet above sea level. From the edge of the crater, which is eight miles in circumference, there is a magnificent view of the two lakes at the bottom.
Get a Taste of Local Flavor
The Azores are renowned for their fresh fish and seafood. You'll find it almost everywhere, prepared simply and deliciously.
The Euro (EUR), the currency of the European Union, is the official currency of Portugal. Many stores and restaurants also accept major credit cards, which usually offer you a good exchange rate. When shopping, remember there is a Value-Added Tax added to most purchases.
Weather in Ponta Delgada, Azores
|| 5.2 in
|| 13.21 cm
Before You Visit
The remote Azores archipelago was uninhabited until Portuguese settlers arrived. Find historic charm in the capital of Ponta Delgada, explore the amazing volcanic landscapes and lakes, or go whale-watching in the Atlantic.