We collect information about you through two principal means: through technology (for example, IP addresses and cookies) and through your voluntary submission of information.
1. WHAT KINDS OF INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
RCCL collects and processes: (i) information that you provide to RCCL; and (ii) information created when you use the Digital Platforms.
RCCL collects and processes:
- information that you provide when you: (i) set up and manage your RCCL account; (ii) request or use services through the Digital Platforms; and (iii) contact RCCL customer support. This information may include your name (first, middle, last, nickname and suffix), email, gender, country, telephone number, date of birth, password, answers to security questions, address (street/PO, apt/unit, city, state, zip and country), loyalty account number(s), Crown & Anchor Society Membership number, passport (including travel first name, travel last name, photo, passport number, expiration, residency, citizenship and birth country), driving license information (including country, state, license number and expiration date) travel companions, dietary requirements, meal preferences, cruise information (including sail date, cabin/room requests and arrival time), medical details, payment and banking information, emergency contact details (relationship, first name, last name, phone, nationality, birth date and citizenship country/state), anniversary date of enrollment, onward travel plans, picture(s) and whether you have opted-in to receive marketing communications. All of this information is mandatory to use the Digital Platforms. If you chose to not provide this information, you may not have access to some or all features on our Digital Platforms. We further collect:
- information created when you use the Digital Platforms, including: (i) identification numbers - when using certain services in the Digital Platforms, we may create certain identification numbers that are unique to you, including a Universal Customer Master ID, a shopper ID, a booking ID and number, a Passenger ID and number, Casino ID and boarding pass/SetSail Pass; (ii) booking records – we collect details regarding your past and future bookings with us this may include cruise type, date of cruise, passengers on your booking, destination, duration, date of booking and price paid; (iii) information about your use of the Digital Platforms and settings – we collect information about your use of the Digital Platforms, including products/services you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, Digital Platforms crashes, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information, preferences and settings; (iv) device data – we may collect details about your device, including the device model and version. Other than in relation to the location services (as more fully described below), RCCL does not collect precise information about the location of your mobile device. If you choose to ‘turn-off’ location services, we only process your device’s IP address to determine whether or not you are on ship; (v) technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your device to the internet, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform. As technology evolves, additional methods of information gathering may be used, such as 'pixel tags' (also known as 'clear gifs'); (vi) chat services – if a user choses to send messages or otherwise use the Digital Platform chat functionality, RCCL may collect information about those messages, including the date, time and content of the message; (vii) cookies and other tracking technologies – when you visit the Digital Platforms and use our services allowing us to identify you, for example where you book a cruise, sign into your account, where you want us to identify you as a member of our loyalty program(s) and where we need to remember your preferences, and (viii) location data (when you install and use our mobile applications) – to give you the best user experience while on the cruise and allow you to order services to your exact location (whether that is your deck chair or your room), we may collect your precise or approximate location while on the ship through data collected from Wi-Fi, GPS and IP address. Location services are optional, you can ‘turn-off’ the location services from within the Digital Platforms or through your device’s permission settings (for example, you can choose to: (a) never allow access; (b) only allow access when using the Digital Platforms; or (c) allow access at all times). If you chose to ‘turn-off’ the location services, you may not have access to some features on our Digital Platforms.
Your credit card details will be used to process your request for products or services but will not be shared with third parties that are not involved with the transaction.
2. COOKIES AND OTHER TRACKING TECHNOLOGIES
Cookie data and other technologies to collect information on the Digital Platforms for a variety of purposes, such as to improve the design and content of our Digital Platforms and to enable us to provide a more personalised experience when you browse the Internet. Most industry-standard Web browsers have an option that allows you to turn off all cookies or have your computer inform you each time that a request to place a cookie is being made. If you turn cookies off (or refuse to accept a request to place a cookie), you may not have access to some features on our Digital Platforms and some of our services, such as purchasing a cruise or being automatically recognised as a loyalty member.
When corresponding with you via e-mail, we may use a variety of technologies, such as "clear gifs" or "web beacons," to let us know, among other things, whether you received and opened our e-mail. The clear gif included in the e-mail may establish a cookie on your system that further allows us to tailor information to fit your personal interests.
3. HOW DO WE USE THE INFORMATION THAT WE COLLECT?
RCCL uses the information it collects to provide you with the best cruise-planning and cruise vacation experience.
RCCL uses the information it collects:
- To manage your bookings with us and provide the products, services or membership benefits you request when using the Digital Platforms, including providing services to your exact location on the ship.
We need to use your personal information to deliver our services to you when you book a cruise. For example, when you travel with us we need your personal information to send you a booking confirmation, to manage changes to your booking, to send invoices to you and process your payments, to check you in before you board our ships and to keep track of you on board, to deliver your benefits for our loyalty programs, to provide you with further products and services on board (for example when you book shore excursions and in our shops, restaurants and casinos) or through the Digital Platforms (for example, the chat service offered through the Application).
- To improve the content of the Digital Platforms and enhance your cruise-planning experience
The personal information we collect when you use our Digital Platforms helps us to make sure that our Digital Platforms works well (for example, so that we know it’s you when you sign into our account). We are always improving the design and content of our Digital Platforms to enhance your cruise vacation experience and information about how you use our Digital Platforms helps us to do that. We also use this information to help us understand the level of interest in the different sections of our Digital Platforms and the products and services that we offer. We also use your information to make the cruise vacation booking process more convenient. For example, we can remember what you’ve searched for, so you can pick up where you left off.
We also use your information to fix operational problems with the Digital Platforms such as pages crashing and software bugs and maintain the safety and security of the Digital Platforms.
- To personalise your RCCL account, including your preferred Royal Caribbean cruise destinations
When you sign up via the Digital Platforms or make a booking, we create a Unified Guest Account in our systems. If you have an existing Royal Caribbean account, such as a ‘My Cruises’ account or a ‘My Celebrity’ account, when you next sign-in you will be required to migrate to a bigger and better new Unified Guest Account. This is your digital profile that brings the personal information that we hold together and identifies you across the Royal Caribbean International group. When you migrate to your new Unified Guest Account the information from your existing Royal Caribbean account will also be transferred across.
Your Guest Profile lets us deliver a personalised experience when you search for cruises, book and travel with us or contact us by phone or email. We also use your Unified Guest Account to personalise the marketing communications that we send you. We also sometimes use your details to ask for feedback on our services.
- To process payments and invoicing
When you make a booking through the Digital Platforms (whether that is booking a cruise itself or certain products or services such as shore excursions) we will process your payment details to process the transaction.
- For marketing and promotional purposes, including to provide you with information about products and services offered by Royal Caribbean International
We use your contact details for our marketing and promotions, including to send you information about the products and services that we and the Royal Caribbean International group offer. We also use your personal information to tailor our marketing communications to make them more relevant to you and to measure engagement with our marketing campaigns.
- To help you contact our customer support services
When you get in touch with our customer support services (whether through the Digital Platforms or otherwise), we will process your personal information to ensure you receive the best customer service possible.
- To help you get on the ship quicker with speedy boarding
Our mobile application offers a frictionless boarding experience. We use your personal information, including your photographs and passport information to provide you with this service.
4. THIRD PARTY ACCESS TO THE INFORMATION OBTAINED BY THE DIGITAL PLATFORMS
Some of the services offered through the Digital Platforms mean that we share information other Royal Caribbean group entities and our trusted service providers.
We may share your personal information:
- As required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena, or similar legal process; and when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, or respond to a government request
We may need to share your personal information where required under the laws of countries in which we operate. Local ports and customs authorities require passenger details to process our ships in the ports at which they call. Law enforcement agencies may also require access to personal information, or we may be ordered to disclose personal information by a court or in connection with legal proceedings.
Pursuant to the United States’ Stored Communications Act (the “SCA”), for certain services we offer through the Digital Platforms, we may be considered a provider of electronic communication services because we provide users of the Digital Platforms the ability to send or receive wire or electronic communications. In those instances in which we may be considered a provider of electronic communication services, we will not turn over records or other information pertaining to you unless compelled to do so by a Court of competent jurisdiction pursuant to the provisions of the SCA.
- Our suppliers and service providers
We use products and services from our trusted third-party suppliers to run our business, for example airlines, taxi companies, coach service providers, shore excursion providers, border control, immigration and customs offices located around the world. We use travel booking systems provided by Sabre and Amadeus to provide availability details for, and book, flights if required by you in connection with your cruise; we also use Merkle and Exactarget to assist us with marketing and promotional purposes.
We need to share your personal data with our third-party payment providers to process your card payments
- With entities within the RCCL group, which means our subsidiaries and affiliates from time-to-time to help us to provide services offered through the Digital Platforms
We are a global business and we need to share your personal data with other companies in our group to allow us to offer you the widest choice of cruise vacation destinations and operate our ships around the world.
- With other users of the Digital Platforms at your request, for example when you use the chat services offered through the Application
Please note that, in the event RCCL is involved in a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, you will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on our Digital Platforms of any change in ownership or uses of this information, as well as any choices you may have regarding this information.
5. DATA RETENTION POLICY AND OPT-OUT
We will retain your personal information for as long as you use the Digital Platforms and for a reasonable time thereafter or for a period permitted or required by applicable laws.
The standard uninstall processes as may be available as part of your mobile device or via the mobile application marketplace or network will stop all collection of information by our mobile application(s).
If you’d like to request access to, correction of or deletion of your personal information, please contact us at email@example.com and we will respond in a reasonable time. Please note that we may be required to retain certain information by law.
We may contact you for marketing purposes, including to tell you more about our services, share news or tell you about promotions from time to time. We’ll only send you marketing messages if you’ve opted in to receive them and you can update your preferences or opt out at any time via the preferences centre, following the links in our emails or by sending us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Even if you’ve opted out of marketing messages, we’ll still need to contact you in relation to your bookings with us.
The Digital Platforms seeks to promote our cruise vacations for sale to adults over the age of 18.
RCCL does not knowingly solicit data from or market to children under the age of 18. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with information without their consent, he or she should contact us at email@example.com. We will delete such information from our files within a reasonable time.
7. LINKS AND THIRD PARTIES
Our Digital Platforms may provide links to websites or other digital tools that we believe may be useful to you. These links will lead you to websites or digital tools operated by third parties operating under different privacy policies. We encourage you to review those privacy policies, as we have no control over information you may submit to those third parties.
We provide physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect information we process and maintain. All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers.
Security for all personal information is extremely important to us. We limit access to personal information to authorized employees and contractors who need to know that information in order to operate, develop, provide services offered through the Digital Platforms or improve the Digital Platforms.
Please be aware that, although we endeavour to provide reasonable security for information we process and maintain, no security system can prevent all potential security breaches. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that data transmitted over the internet will always be secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us using the Digital Platforms and you do so at your own risk. Upon receipt of your transmission, we strive to ensure the security of that information in our systems.
10. HOW TO CONTACT US
If you have any questions regarding privacy while using the Digital Platforms, or have questions about our practices, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hope you enjoy discovering and experiencing our extraordinary cruise vacations.