Your adventure takes you to a hidden underground world the Mayans called Chaak Tun–named for the Mayan god of rain–literally meaning “Chaak’s Rain of Stone.” Explore the mysteries of the cenotes and sacred underground river as you cleanse your heart, mind and spirit while learning of the mythology behind these natural wonders. Visit two mystical caverns and underground rivers, discovering its amazing formations; stalactites and stalagmites reaching from floor to ceiling while snorkeling and swimming through the crystal-clear, sacred waters that purify and rejuvenate. Before the next experience, you will be greeted and welcomed by a local shaman to the Temazcal. Learn about the importance of this ancient cleansing process and experience it yourself. Savor the time for yourself while you purify your body through a relaxing steam bath with the use of medicinal plants, an ancestral ritual practiced in Mesoamerica employed for cleansing, medicinal, and spiritual purposes. Afterwards enjoy a Mexican lunch, featuring local favorites and learn about the tequila making process, a trademark of Mexican culture. At the conclusion of this memorable adventure, return to Playa del Carmen for some shopping time before boarding the ferry that will take you back to the ship's pier.
This tour is provided by an operator that has been third-party certified to meet the Global Sustainable Tourism Council's Criteria for Tour Operators.
• Chaak Tun Caverns: Explore striking stalactite and stalagmite formations; swim and snorkel in sacred waters (all snorkel gear included).
• Temezcal: Purify your spirit during this ancient steam bath ritual.
• Tequila tasting: Taste the difference in fine tequilas and the process used to make the very best.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Sun protection
• Cash/credit cards
• Towel (from ship)
What to Wear:
• Comfortable clothing
• Hat and sunglasses
• Guests must be able to climb down and up the ladder out of the water. Guests in wheelchairs and others with mobility challenges should not select this tour. Guests must be able to walk, duck to enter some caverns, walk down stairs and through some tight quarters.
• Guests must consider their physical fitness level and medical history when determining whether this tour is appropriate. Pregnant women and guests with back/neck problems should not select this tour.
• Guests with cardiac conditions, asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, other heart or respiratory conditions or any other medical condition must take particular caution when selecting a tour with snorkeling/swimming elements, since such water activities could be subject to adverse sea conditions such as high winds, waves and sea current.
• Guests who have concerns must consult with their personal physician before engaging in any activity that may be strenuous for them, particularly those involving snorkeling/swimming elements.