Your adventure takes you to a hidden underground world the Mayans called Chaak Tun–named for the Mayan god of rain–literally meaning “Chaak’s Rain of Stone.” Looking around at the striking stalactite and stalagmite formations, it’s easy to see why. While walking along, learn about the Mayan people and why they revered these fascinating caverns. Go for a rejuvenating swim or snorkel in these sacred waters, taking a close look at these dazzling works of nature below the surface. You’ll also appreciate the fact that Chaak Tun has been certified by Sustainable Travel International, a global nonprofit with stringent environmental standards. After a dip, enjoy an authentic Mayan lunch before making your way to Playa Del Carmen–one of the trendiest cities on the Yucatan Peninsula–and visit the 5th Avenue shopping district to search for the perfect souvenir.
• Two-part adventure: Your 8-hour tour takes you to mystic Mayan caverns and trendy Playa Del Carmen.
• Chaak Tun Caverns: Explore striking stalactite and stalagmite formations; swim and snorkel in sacred waters (all snorkel gear included).
• National Geographic: This tour features National Geographic Snorkeler Gear.
• Fifth Avenue: Spend your remaining time browsing this famous thoroughfare lined with hundreds of shops, boutiques, bars, restaurants, and the beach.
• THIS TOUR IS OPERATED BY A TOUR OPERATOR THAT HAS BEEN THIRD-PARTY VERIFIED TO AN INTERNATIONALLY RECOGNIZED SUSTAINABILITY STANDARD.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Sun protection
• Cash/credit cards
• Towel (from ship)
• Insect repellent
What to Wear:
• Comfortable clothing
• Hat and sunglasses
• Royal Caribbean has selected National Geographic™ Snorkeler gear for the use of our guests on select excursions. The excursions are in no way affiliated or endorsed by National Geographic™.
• Guests must be able to climb down and up the ladder out of the water. Guests in wheelchairs and others with mobility challenges should not select this tour. Guests must be able to walk, duck to enter some caverns, walk down stairs and through some tight quarters.
• Guests must consider their physical fitness level and medical history when determining whether this tour is appropriate. Pregnant women and guests with back/neck problems should not select this tour.
• Guests with cardiac conditions, asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, other heart or respiratory conditions or any other medical condition must take particular caution when selecting a tour with snorkeling/swimming elements, since such water activities could be subject to adverse sea conditions such as high winds, waves and sea current.
• Guests who have concerns must consult with their personal physician before engaging in any activity that may be strenuous for them, particularly those involving snorkeling/swimming elements.