Enjoy a rewarding opportunity to learn about the deep-rooted culture and hurricane devastation of San Juan’s historic La Perla community while volunteering at the local community center that attends to the elderly and the Hogar Padre Venard homeless outreach shelter in Old San Juan. Known for its colorful shanty homes and longstanding musical legacy — the music video for hit song Despacito was filmed here — the seaside barrio of La Perla holds a rich history through many generations. Learn about the initiatives of Hogar Padre Venard which provides food, shelter, medical and social services to the underserved in Puerto Rico and the Casa Cortes Foundation educating and inspiring the children through the arts. You can engage in one of several volunteer activities based in the community necesities: serve a meal in the soup kitchen, participate in an arts and crafts skills workshop, plant a small tree for the community garden, children story telling and other positive impact activities — and at the day’s end you will also enjoy a private Puerto Rican meal of chicken, rice and beans, and soda. This is a great way to give back during your cruise.
Kindly note that guests are required to show proof of vaccination to participate on this shore excursion.
• La Perla: Explore this Puerto Rican shanty town’s colorful history, hear about its hurricane destruction and discover its musical traditions.
• Casa Cortes Foundation and Hogar Padre Vernard: Learn about their initiatives and help the local community by volunteering your time during a positive impact activity.
• Old San Juan: Experience the pure spirit of Puerto Rico and enjoy a private meal in the city’s historic district.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Sun protection
• Bottled water
What to Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Light clothing
• Walking shoes
• Guests must be able to walk approximately 1 mile over uneven cobblestone surfaces, with inclines and about 32 steps and extended periods of standing.
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• Guests with back/neck problems should not select this tour.
• Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour.
• Participation limited but minimum required for tour to operate.
• Tour sequence may vary.