OVERVIEW: Experience the ruins of the walled city of Tulum, which rise above the Caribbean Sea. Explore the archeological monuments of this ceremonial center, which were left as a reminder of this ancient Mayan culture. Your guide will share the secrets, facts, myths, and legends of this long forgotten society.
HIGHLIGHTS: Visit the Mayan ruins of Tulum. Tender ride to/from the mainland. Light snack and soft drinks included. Tour ends in downtown Cozumel and the taxi ride to back to the ship is approx. $7.
NOTES: Transportation includes a 45 minute ferry ride and 1 hour bus ride each way. Inclement weather/rough seas may cause seasickness so guests should take the necessary precautions.
Experience the world famous magnificent ruins of the walled city of Tulum, which rise high above the crystal blue Caribbean Sea. You will stand in awe as you view and explore the archeological monuments of this ceremonial center, which were left behind as a reminder of this truly incredible ancient Mayan culture.
- Visit the Mayan ruins of Tulum
- Tender ride to and from the mainland
- Light snack and soft drinks included
You will arrive to Playa del Carmen from Cozumel by tender. Relax in the comfort of your air-conditioned bus as you enjoy a scenic drive to Tulum while your English speaking native guide offers a colorful narration and explains the history and life in the Yucatan as well as the mysterious Mayan culture. There will be a 20-minute restroom stop along the way to the ruins.
When you arrive at the ruins, your guide will escort you through the walled Mayan city and share the secrets, facts, myths, and legends of this long forgotten society. Marvel over the 60 restored temples and secrets that are hidden within these sacred walls by the use of mysterious hieroglyphic writings. Visit the Temple of the Frescos, famous for its detailed carved figures, original paintings, and writings dating back centuries. See the Temple of the Descending God, the House of the Chultun, and the House of the Columns. Your guided tour will end with a breathtaking view of the beautiful Caribbean Sea from the towering El Castillo, 40 feet above the sea.
After experiencing Tulum, it's time to get back on the bus and enjoy a complimentary drink on your ride back to Playa del Carmen, where the hourly scheduled Federal ferry will return you to downtown Cozumel. The tour ends in downtown Cozumel to allow time to explore and shop. From there, decide when to take a taxi back to your ship on your own (at your own expense).
What to Bring:
-You should always take your SeaPass card (provided onboard the ship) and photo identification when in port
- Camera and cash for shopping (most stores accept US dollars and credit cards)
- Sun protection, sunglasses, and bottled water
What to Wear:
- Strongly recommend wearing light clothing and comfortable walking shoes.
- The ferry ride to and from Playa del Carmen takes about 45 minutes each way. Please note that inclement weather and rough seas may cause seasickness on the ferry ride, so guests should take the necessary precautions.
- Tour ends in downtown Cozumel and the taxi ride to back to the ship is approx. $7.
- There is a 10-minute walk from the parking lot of the ruins to the entrance of the ruins and back. A tram is available to and from the ruins for guests that do not want to walk. The tram is not part of the tour and guests can choose to take the tram at their own expense and risk. The cost is approximately $1.50 USD round trip which is paid at the tram booth.
- There is a fee of approximately $8 to $10 USD at Tulum for guests who bring video cameras. This fee is not included in the price of the tour and can be paid in cash at the entrance to Tulum.