OVERVIEW: Trace Marseille's ,2600 year transformation from Phocean city of Massalia to present day "gateway to the east" and from the elegant seaside to its historical port. Discover the landmarks representing many political and religious symbols of Marseille's historical and maritime past on a half day tour.
HIGHLIGHTS: Visit Notre Dame de la Garde Basilica. Ride along the Kennedy Corniche Road to the old port. Experience the Vieux Port with a stroll through the old harbor and heart of the city.
NOTES: Access to Notre Dame de la Garde Basilica involves approximately 200 steps, then the use of an inside lift is sometimes available.
Experience Marseille's vibrant, multi-cultural history and rich maritime heritage, on this tour of the city's highlights. On a visit to Notre Dame de la Garde, the imposing Neo-Byzantine basilica that overlooks the city, see the offerings left by sailors and fishermen seeking divine protection. Then explore the colorful, historic harbor, Vieux Port-Marseille's heart and soul.
• Notre Dame de La Garde: Visit this Neo-Byzantine basilica overlooking Marseille, and see offerings left by sailors seeking protection.
• Vieux Port: Admire colorful docked boats and magnificent views of the city, as you explore Marseille's historic old harbor.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Sun protection
What to Wear:
• Light clothing
• Hat and sunglasses
• Comfortable walking shoes
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• Guests must be able to climb approximately 200 stairs.
• Shops are closed on Sundays and bank holidays.
• For the Explorer of the Seas sailing August 9, 2015, the visit to the basilica of Notre Dame de La Garde will be replaced with a visit to Longchamp Palace.
• In addition to English this tour is offered in French, German, Italian and Spanish.
• A minimum of 20 guests is needed for the tour to run in a different language.