Begin your visit to Belém District famous for its landmark tower on the bank of the Tagus River, from where explorers embarked on their voyages of discovery. Visit the Jeronimos Church, a 16th century architectural masterpiece designed in Gothic Manueline style. Tour continues past statue of Pombal , Avenida de Liberdade to Rossio, the heart of Lisbon's downtown. Next visit Alfama, the oldest part of Lisbon, for a quick walk through its cobbled labyrinth of narrow twisting alleys honeycombed with steps and archways. Note: Must walk about 0.45 mile over rough, uneven, and cobblestone surfaces with 40 steps. Tour order may vary. Not suitable for wheelchairs.
Explore the rich history of Western Europe's oldest city, on a guided tour of Lisbon's neighborhood districts and see notable city landmarks. Visit Belem, where famous Portuguese explorers set out on voyages, to view the famous Torre de Belem, riverside Monument of the Discoveries, and the grandiose Manueline-styled Jeronimos Church. Stop in Alfama, the oldest district in Lisbon, and see the romanesque Cathedral castles, Moorish city wall ruins, and lively Fado bars.
• Torre de Belem: Marvel at Portugal's Age of Discovery, with Belem's distinguished tower and Monument of the Discoveries.
• Jeronimos Monastery Church: Behold the ornately Manueline-styled cathedral, where explorer Vasco de Gama spent time in prayer before voyages.
• Alfama: Visit Lisbon's oldest neighborhood streets, and Moorish relics.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Sun protection What to Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Walking shoes
• Conservative church attire Important Notes:
• This tour is not suitable for wheelchairs.
• Guests must be able to walk approximately .45 miles over even and cobblestone surfaces with steps.
• Visits to Jeronimos Church are conditioned to religious ceremonies that may occur without prior notice.
• Jeronimos Church is closed on Sunday mornings and Mondays; on these days there will be an alternative visit to Lisbon's Cathedral.
• No exposed shoulders or knees in church.
• In addition to English, this tour is offered in French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish.
• A minimum of 20 guests are needed for the tour to run in a different language.