- Overview: Enjoy a scenic drive along one of Italy's most beautiful stretches of coastline, the famous Amalfi Coast with stops at the lovely resort towns of Sorrento and Amalfi.
- Highlights: Enjoy the 1.5-hour scenic drive along the Amalfi coast to Sorrento, where you can stroll through one of the loveliest towns in Italy. Explore the classic resort town of Amalfi. Lunch is included before the beautiful 2-hour mountain drive to Naples.
Notes: Guests must be able to walk approximately 50 yards over even surfaces with 5 - 10 steps. There are several steps to access the lunch venue and guests wishing to enter the Cathedral of St. Andrew on their own must ascend approximately 60 steep steps
Relax and enjoy a scenic drive along one of Italy’s most beautiful stretches of coastline, the famous Amalfi Coast. You’ll stop at the lovely resort towns of Sorrento and Amalfi and enjoy a visit to a cameo factory on the return ride to Naples. Lunch will be served in a local hotel or restaurant on the Amalfi Coast or Sorrento.
- Amalfi Drive: Enjoy the 1.5 hour scenic drive from Naples to Sorrento.
- Sorrento Town: Stroll through one of the loveliest towns in Italy.
- Amalfi: Explore the historic buildings and narrow streets of this classic resort.
- Lunch will be served in a local hotel/restaurant on the Amalfi Coast or Sorrento.
- Amalfi to Naples: Enjoy the beautiful 2-hour mountain drive back to Naples.
Take the beautiful Amalfi Drive and enjoy the spectacular scenery. This is a favorite destination for a countless number of visitors. Departing from the pier, you will pass Mount Vesuvius as you begin your coastal ride south to Sorrento. On the way, you will see the Dolomitic cliff climbing straight up out of the sea. Pass typical villages which have characterized Sorrento's Peninsula for many centuries.
Your next stop is the fabled town of Sorrento with a marvelous view of Naples Bay. You'll quickly realize why its climate makes the village a favorite Mediterranean resort. Legend tells us the "sirens" at Sorrento attempted to lure Ulysses onto the rocks. Take in a demonstration by a local artisan of the age-old process of wood-carving. Then it’s time to stroll around the main square and explore the side streets of Sorrento. Many souvenir shops offer local specialties including decorative pieces of highly polished wood inlaid with beautiful marquetry.
Drive along the steep winding coastal road and admire its splendid view. Pass Positano, a pretty fishing village which has become a colony of artists and writers. The picturesque seaside resort of Amalfi lies at the mouth of a deep gorge. It is a romantic, Moorish-style resort town at the foot of the steep Lattari hills, overlooking the Bay of Salerno. In the center of the town stands the 11th-century Cathedral of St. Andrew, said to hold the remains of the apostle. The church is distinctive for its black-and-white facade and mosaics. The bronze doors were cast in Constantinople in 1066 and the bell tower dates to the 13th century. Head out from the Piazza del Duomo and explore the narrow alleyways lined with shops and boutiques. Lunch will be served in a local hotel or restaurant on the Amalfi Coast or Sorrento.
The return journey will proceed via mountain road to Naples.
What to Bring:
- You should always take your SeaPass card (provided onboard the ship) and photo identification when in port
- Camera and cash for shopping
- Sun protection and sunglasses
What to Wear:
- Comfortable walking shoes are strongly recommended.
- The drive between Naples and Sorrento is approximately 1.5 hours and the return from Amalfi to Naples is approximately 2 hours.
- Guests must be able to walk approximately 50 yards over even surfaces with 5 - 10 steps. There are several steps to access the lunch venue.
- Guests wishing to enter the Cathedral of St. Andrew on their own must ascend approximately 60 or more very steep steps.
- Please note that due to local regulations and restrictions, an alternate stop on the Amalfi Coast (Minori, Maiori or Vietri sul Mare) will be made should a parking space not be available in Amalfi.
- The order of the tour may be reversed.
- Due to traffic restriction to coaches on the Amalfi Coast, this tour will not be operated in occasion of Liberty of the Seas 08/03/2014 sailing.