Sit back, relax and get ready for a comfortable two-hour coach ride that takes you through bustling Lerwick to rural Shetland villages and a clifftop lookout, where you?ll delight in panoramic views of St. Ninian?s Isle. Starting out in Lerwick, Shetland?s capital and the only town in the subarctic archipelago, you?ll travel along its narrow main street past quaint shops and 18th-century sandstone buildings. Listen along as your guide shares about the region?s Old Norse roots while admiring views of the North Sea from hilltops in Fladdabister, a Dutch-influenced settlement replete with plant shelters and mills from the 1930s. In the nearby crofting community of Aithsetter, you?ll glimpse meadows teeming with wildflowers and Shetland sheep grazing among dry-stone walls. To round out your trip, a 20-minute photo stop will be made atop an elevated road viewpoint that overlooks St. Minian?s Isle, a small tied island that?s home to the UK?s largest active tombolo (natural sand causeway). You?ll hear tales of early medieval Pictish artifacts that were discovered buried in the ruins of a local 12th-century chapel, all while taking in the breathtaking views and spotting wildlife ? seals, seabirds and puffins included. The return trip to port is equally impressive.
• Lerwick: Relax in a motor coach and enjoy a drive through the cultural and social hub of Shetland.
• Shetland: Admire Dutch-influenced buildings in Fladdabister before seeing wildflower pastures and Shetland sheep in the rural community of Aithsetter.
• St. Ninian?s Isle: Stop to capture photos of this small tied island and its natural sand causeway.
• THIS TOUR IS OPERATED BY A TOUR OPERATOR THAT HAS BEEN THIRD-PARTY VERIFIED TO AN INTERNATIONALLY RECOGNIZED SUSTAINABILITY STANDARD.
What To Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Local currency
• Sun protection
What To Wear:
• Walking shoes
• Hat and sunglasses
• Warm clothes
• Layered clothing
• Wet weather gear
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• Pregnant women and guests with back/neck problems should not select this tour.
• Guests prone to motion sickness should take precautions.
• Guests with concerns should consult their personal physician.
• Participation limited by minimum required for tour to operate.
• No interior visits on this tour.
• Tour operates in all weather conditions. Appropriate weather gear recommended.
• The roundtrip drive is approximately 1.5 hours.
• Tour sequence may vary.