Lerwick Walking Tour and Fort Charlotte - WK09
Explore the 17th-century Shetlands capital on a guided walk that includes scenic harbor views, Town Hall and the fort at the city center. You'll see the restored 19th-century Tolbooth and the harbor's 18th-century "lodberries" - piers once used by whalers and smugglers. Wind along a web of lanes to Town Hall, where colorful stained glass depicts scenes from Shetlands history. Walk the parapet of Fort Charlotte, built in 1781, where cannons still aim over Bressay Sound.
Ready to reserve this excursion?
Head out on foot alongside an informative guide for a three-hour adventure that packs in plenty of Lerwick history and culture, complete with stops at the Shetland Museum and Fort Charlotte complex. Begin your walking tour of Shetland’s capital with a stroll along Victoria Pier, where yachts float amidst the chief port of the Shetland Islands. See the recently redeveloped Old Tolbooth, which now serves as the town’s main lifeboat station, before walking past the popular gathering space of Market Cross. Enter Town Hall, where you’ll see the Shetland Islands Council chambers and stained glass windows depicting notable residents. Then make your way to the award-winning Shetland Museum to discover interactive exhibits, photography collections, excavated items and the Shetland Archives — all of which expound on the region’s early settlers, folklore, fishing and knitwear industry, literary legacy and maritime influence. Finish at Fort Charlotte, a five-sided artillery fort originally built in 1652. This citadel never saw action but served in many capacities: during the Second and Third Anglo-Dutch Wars, as a garrison for Napoleonic Wars, a base for the Royal Naval Reserve, a town jail in the mid-1800s, a coast guard station and now the base of Shetland’s Territorial Army. You’ll then be led back to port to meet your ship.
Ready to reserve this excursion?
• Lerwick: Join a guided stroll along Victoria Pier, through Market Cross, and past Old Tolbooth lifeboat station to Town Hall.
• Shetland Museum: Excavated items, military medals, local literature, lace shawls, and complete boats are on display in this award-winning gallery.
• Fort Charlotte: Learn the illustrious military heritage of Shetland while exploring this five-sided artillery bastion in the center of town.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Local currency
• Sun protection
• Umbrella (from ship)
What to Wear:
• Walking shoes
• Hat and sunglasses
• Warm clothes
• Layered clothing
• Wet weather gear
• Guests must be able to walk for approximately 60 minutes over various surfaces, with inclines and extended periods of standing.
• Guest should be a confident walker and a steady pace.
• Pregnant women and guests with back/neck problems should not select this tour.
• Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour.
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• Guests with concerns should consult their personal physician.
• Participation limited but minimum required for tour to operate.
• Guests can purchase food and drink at their own expenses.
• Tour operates in all weather conditions. Appropriate weather gear recommended.
• Some public toilets/washrooms require local coinage.
• Limited seating/benches available around Lerwick.
• Tour sequence may vary.