Santiago Extended Half Day - VG14
Your guided walking tour will show you why Cathedral Santiago de Compostela is revered among Catholics. Often referred to as the city of monuments because there are so many, it's the Cathedral that captivates religious pilgrims from around the world. Enter this final resting place of the Apostle James and learn about his remarkable story. Whether its faith or a love of history that brings you here, it's sure to be an unforgettable experience. Note: Guests must be able to walk approximately 1 mile (2 hours) over cobblestone streets with inclines and steps and extended periods of waiting and standing. Travel time is approx 1.5 hour each way.
Ready to reserve this excursion?
Discover Santiago de Compostela, a revered spiritual destination for Christian pilgrims for more than a thousand years, and where legend has it that Apostle St. James was buried. Explore this ancient city's many monuments and enjoy its varied architectural legacy. Enjoy an exterior visit of this unique cathedral and plaza after enjoying a scenic ride through the Galician hills and countryside, as your guide shares the region's fascinating history. Enjoy approximately 45-minutes free-time for browsing.
Ready to reserve this excursion?
• Santiago de Compostela: Long a pilgrimage stop, the city today has a youthful ambience, with its large student population.
• Cathedral of Santiago: Enjoy an exterior visit of the Cathedral's romanesque, gothic and baroque architecture.
• Santiago Plazas: Visit quiet streets and picturesque plazas, including Plaza del Obradoiro and Palacio Rajoy on your walking tour.
What to Bring:
• Sea Pass card and photo identification
• Sun protection
• Cash/credit cards
What to Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Walking shoes
• Guests must consider their physical fitness level and medical history when determining whether this tour is appropriate.
• Guests with pre-existing neck, back, knee and/or shoulder injuries, cardiac conditions, asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, other heart or respiratory conditions or any other medical condition must take particular caution when selecting a tour - particularly tours categorized as "strenuous".
• Guests who have concerns must consult with their personal physician before engaging in any activity that may be strenuous for them.
• Wheelchair access to cathedral is limited.
• Oversized bags and backpacks are not permitted inside Cathedral.
• Guests must be able to walk approximately one mile during 2 hours over cobblestone streets with inclines and steps.
• Guests may experience extended periods of waiting and standing.
• The drive between Vigo and Santiago de Compostela is approximately 1-1/2 hours each way. Guests must be able to walk approximately 1800 feet each way between parking area and town center.
• Tour sequence may vary If cathedral is closed, guides give commentary outside; guests then enter quietly on their own.
• In addition to English this tour is offered in French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish
• A minimum of 20 guests is needed for the tour to run in a different language.
• Only an exterior view of the Cathedral is included in the tour. Guest may be able to enter the Cathedral during the free time.
• Please be aware that ongoing restoration/maintenance work is currently being carried out at the Santiago de Compostela’s Cathedral. The Portico de La Gloria is currently closed and guests will not be allowed to this area of the cathedral.