Take a walking tour to gain an understanding of Icy Strait Point, its natural wonders and its native peoples’ deep connection to them. From pebble beach to rainforest, a local guide shares lore and secrets that range from how plants are used for medicinal purposes, to the telltale signs used to spot wildlife. The tour concludes at the Icy Strait Point Museum; next door is a shop where traditional medicines can be sampled or purchased.
• Walking Tour: Enjoy an educational, scenic trek that visits beach and rainforest.
• Expert Guide: One of Hoonah's most respected scientific observers brings the area's history to life.
• Wildlife Viewing: Marine mammals such as porpoises, sea lions, seals and humpback whales frequent the nearby waters.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Sun protection
What to Wear:
• Comfortable, waterproof shoes
• Hat and sunglasses
• Layered clothing
• Wind-resistant jacket
• Guests are encouraged to travel light on this rain-or-shine 1-hour tour.
• Waterproof, slip-resistant footwear is required.
• This tour includes approximately 2 miles of walking on boardwalk, gravel pathway, pebble beach, rocky beach with boulders and forest trail. All these surfaces may be wet in any weather.
• Guests should consider their physical fitness level and medical history when considering this tour.
• Guests with pre-existing neck, back, knee and/or shoulder injuries, cardiac conditions, asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, other heart or respiratory conditions or any other medical condition or concerns should take particular caution when selecting a tour and should consult with their doctor first.
• Guest minimum age: 12 years old.