Montserrat, Monks and Music - BR09
OVERVIEW: The grandeur of Catalunya's highest viewpoint, Montserrat, is sure to form a lasting impression as you visit the mountaintop monastery where pilgrims come to worship "La Moreneta", the black Madonna. Admire the Patron of Catalonia, Saint Mary of Montserrat, and discover the Benedictine community of monks.
HIGHLIGHTS: View landmarks along the picturesque streets of Barcelona on the way to the Montserrat Mountains where the Benedictine Monastery of Montserrat was founded in the 11th century.
NOTES: Guests must be able to walk approximately 1 mile over even cobblestone surfaces with numerous inclines and 45 to 50 steps. Montserrat is approximately one hour from Barcelona.
Ready to reserve this excursion?
Enjoy a scenic one-hour ride through Barcelona, with commentary from your guide on notable Spanish landmarks such as Antoni Gaudi's Casa Mila. Ascend Barcelona's outlying peaks as you journey to the Santa Maria de Montserrat Benedictine Abbey. Enter the 11th-century monastery, a sanctified place of worship for pilgrims and residing monks. Catch a performance by the praised L'Escolania de Montserrat boys' choir.
Ready to reserve this excursion?
• Scenic Drive: Travel through Barcelona as your guide points out significant Spanish landmarks such as architect Antoni Gaudi's Casa Mila.
• Montserrat: Tour the 11th-century Santa Maria de Montserrat Benedictine abbey, a holy sanctuary for ardent pilgrims and dwelling monks.
• L'Escolania de Montserrat: The boys' choir, comprised of choirboys and monks, presents spirited choral concerts in the monastery's basilica.
What to Bring:
• Sea Pass card and photo identification
• Cash/Credit cards
• Sun protection
What to Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Walking shoes
• Light Clothing
• Conservative attire required
• Kids Tour Free: Offer applies to select tours conducted between 5/1/16 and 8/31/16. With the purchase of one adult ticket for a qualifying tour, receive one complimentary child ticket for the same tour. Offer applies to tours purchased up to two days prior to cruise departure: the complimentary ticket will be issued in the form of an onboard credit (“OBC”) in the amount of the child ticket price. Child must be 12 years of age or under. Ticketed adult and child must be booked in the same stateroom. Selection of qualifying tours vary by sailing and port. Offer and tours are subject to availability. OBC will be applied to the guest's folio, is not redeemable for cash, is non-transferrable, and will expire at 10:00PM on the final night of the sailing. No tour substitutions.
• Guests must consider their physical fitness level and medical history when determining whether this tour is appropriate.
• Guests with pre-existing neck, back, knee and/or shoulder injuries, cardiac conditions, asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, other heart or respiratory conditions or any other medical condition must take particular caution when selecting a tour - particularly tours categorized as "strenuous".
• Guests who have concerns must consult with their personal physician before engaging in any activity that may be strenuous for them.
• Guests must be able to walk approximately 1 mile over even cobblestone surfaces with numerous inclines and 45-50 steps.
• No exposed shoulders or knees in the church.