You meet your guide at the pier in Flam and after a short walk you reach the railway station and board the train, which takes you to Vatnahalsen. At vatnahalsen coffee and waffles is served, before you start walking. Walking down this beautiful, wild valley on gravel paths/roads, you will cross the Flam River several times on wooden bridges and through a small tunnel en route to Berekvam. There, you will rejoin the train for the return trip to Flam and the ship.
Climb the mountain heights of Norway by rail and hike down the beautiful Flam Valley. You’ll travel 12 miles along the Flam River on one of the world’s steepest rail journeys, passing Rjoande Waterfall, with its sheer 400-ft. drop, the surging waters of mighty Kjos Waterfall and the 4,000-ft. peak of Vibmesnosi. Fuel up with coffee and waffles at the mountaintop station of Vatnahalsen for the 3-hour hike down a valley of unspoiled natural beauty.
• Flam Railway: Climb 2,830 feet through fjord landscapes of rugged green mountains slopes, soaring peaks and spectacular waterfalls.
• Vatnahalsen: Enjoy coffee, waffles and unforgettable views at this mountaintop rail station more than 2,600 feet above sea level.
• Flam Valley Hike: Follow your guide on the 3-hour descent through rivers and meadows from Vatnahalsen.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
What to Wear:
• Weather-appropriate clothing
• Hiking/walking shoes
• Backpack with belongings and bottled water
• Hat and sunglasses
• Guests must consider their physical fitness level and medical history when determining whether this tour is appropriate. Guests with pre-existing neck, back, knee and/or shoulder injuries, cardiac conditions, asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, other heart or respiratory conditions or any other medical condition must take particular caution when selecting a tour - particularly tours categorized as "strenuous". Guests who have concerns must consult with their personal physician before engaging in any activity that may be strenuous for them.
• Tour involves 6 to 7 miles of extensive downhill walking over even, gravel and rocky surfaces.
• Guests under 16 years of age must be accompanied by parent or guardian.
• Hiking portion of tour includes a light snack and bottled water.
• Tour may be altered or canceled in the event of excessive snow.
• A brief photo stop will be made at the mighty Kjos Waterfall.