This tour will be operated in English only. The Jewish heritage occupies a very important role in the history of Latvia & Riga. This tour offers the most important sites & memorial places - "Magen David" memorial stone (1988), built on the place of the burned down in 1941 the Big Coral Synagogue; Old Jewish Cemetery (part of former Riga Ghetto, one of the biggest in Eastern Europe); Museum of History of Jews in Latvia with many photos & information from different periods & the only functioning Synagogue in Riga (1905). Wonderful possibility to learn an important part of Latvian history. Note: Guests must be able to walk approx. 2 miles over even & cobblestone surfaces with 50 to 65 steps.
Learn how Jewish heritage played a very important role in the history of Latvia and Riga. In this half-day tour, see some of the most important sites and memorials, including the Magen David memorial stone, marking where the Great Choral Synagogue once stood. Visit the Old Jewish Cemetery, part of the former Riga Ghetto, one of the biggest in Eastern Europe. Explore the Jewish Museum of Riga, featuring the only functioning Synagogue in the city.
• Magen David memorial stone: This stone marks where the Great Choral Synagogue, which was burned in 1941, once stood.
• Old Jewish Cemetery: This was built in 1725, when Jews were finally granted permission to bury their dead in Riga.
• Jewish Museum of Riga: Explore Latvian Jewish history from the 16th century through the tragic events of WWII.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
What to Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Walking shoes
• Tour is operated only in English.
• Guests must be able to walk about 2 miles over even and cobblestone surfaces with 50 to 65 steps.