Begin with visit to Gateway to White Cliffs Visitor Center that introduces cliffs & surrounding coast & countryside with interpretation panels & information. Next, walk across down-land towards South Foreland Lighthouse for visit. Best view, which is worth 73-step climb, is from balcony of lighthouse & gives 360-degree pano of East Kent, English Channel & North Sea. Return to visitor center enjoying views of White Cliffs along downward pathway. Note: Tour involves strenuous 4-mile hike/walk (approx 2.5 hrs) over uneven, varying terrain with 75+ steps at lighthouse. Tour not recommended for walkers or wheelchairs. See full description for important & complete notes.
Experience a hike along the white cliffs of Dover on this tour that will afford you fine panoramic views and a visit to a historic lighthouse. The white cliffs of Dover have been captured in art, song, and poetry. At the White Cliffs Visitor Centre, you'll learn more about this natural and historic landmark. Then, you'll visit the South Foreland Lighthouse where you'll climb 73 steps to experience breathtaking views of East Kent, the English Channel, and the North Sea.
• See the white cliffs of Dover, a famed beacon and symbol of England for many arriving from the Continent.
• Visit the South Foreland Lighthouse, a historic Victorian building, boasting incredible 360-degree views of the region.
• Explore the White Cliffs Visitor Centre; learn about how the cliffs have been immortalized in poetry, art, and song.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Bottled water
• Rain gear
What to Wear:
• Loose-fitting clothing
• Walking or hiking shoes
• Hat and sunscreen
• Guests with neck, back, knee, shoulder injuries, cardiac conditions, asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure, epilepsy, or other heart or respiratory conditions are not allowed on this tour-particularly tours categorized as "strenuous."
• This tour involves a strenuous 4-mile hike/walk (2.5 hours) over uneven terrain, including 75 steps at the lighthouse. You must be in good physical condition with the ability to walk uphill for extended periods without discomfort.
• Tour order may vary, but will visit all mentioned sites.
• This tour is not recommended for guests who use walkers or wheelchairs.
• Any hiking excursion has inherent risks.
• Parent or guardian must accompany children under 16 years old.
• This tour will operate under all weather conditions. Bring appropriate weather gear, carry a backpack, and take bottled water.