Leisurely Landscapes & Powerscourt Gardens - DB53
This tour will operate in English only. You will travel through Dublin outskirts to enjoy the rural countryside taking you south to the Powerscourt Estate. On arrival, you'll drive along the avenue of stately beech trees, planted more than 200 years ago, which lead from the estate entrance to the House, gardens and terraces. The gardens at Powerscourt are probably the finest in Ireland, both for their design and their dramatic setting at the foot of Great Sugar Loaf Mountain. The house and grounds were commissioned in the 1730s by Richard Wingfield, the 1st Viscount Powerscourt. Whilst at Powerscourt Estate, you will have time to browse in the excellent range of small quality gift shops.
Ready to reserve this excursion?
Discover the natural splendor of Powerscourt Estate, set at the foot of Great Sugar Loaf Mountain. Its magnificent gardens — voted No. 3 in the world by National Geographic — feature sweeping terraces, formal hedges, colorful flower beds, herbaceous borders and romantic stretches of water. Even getting there is a soothing, peaceful journey through delightful countryside backed by the picturesque Wicklow Hills, a welcome contrast to Dublin’s hustle and bustle.
Ready to reserve this excursion?
Feel the grandeur as you drive along the elegant avenue of stately beech trees at the entrance of Powerscourt Estate, planted more than 200 years ago. Enjoy sweeping mountain views as you stroll the terraced Italian Garden, and follow winding paths leading you through the Japanese Garden, making sure to cross the bridges and step inside the pagoda. The nearby grotto dates back to the 1740s; its secret pathways and the sounds of water trickling down moss-covered walls create a dreamy atmosphere. Climb up the steps of Pepperpot Tower — modeled after an actual three-inch pepper pot used at Lord Powerscourt’s dining table — to enjoy wonderful views of the house and gardens. Also, be sure to pay a visit to the pet cemetery to read the touching epitaphs to some of the family’s beloved animals.
Your tour also includes time to visit the house. Relax with friends over a cup of tea or coffee at the terrace café. Browse the craft shop for Irish-designed gifts and treasures. Plus explore Tara’s Palace, perhaps one of the most magnificent dollhouses in the world.
• Scenic drive: Follow the undulating countryside of the picturesque Wicklow Hills as you make your way to the estate.
• Renowned gardens: See for yourself why National Geographic considers Powerscourt Gardens one of the top gardens in the world.
• Visit the house: Sip tea at the terrace café, shop for Irish-designed gifts and discover a grand, 22-room, Palladian-style dollhouse.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Sun protection
• Local currency (euros)/credit cards
What to Wear:
• Walking shoes
• Hat and sunglasses
• Warm, layered clothing
• Wet weather gear
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• This tour is not suitable for guests with limited mobility; walking distances may be challenging for some guests.
• Guests with concerns should consult their personal physician.
• Weather, local conditions or traffic may limit tour. (For example, Trinity College in Dublin may close at any time.)