This tour gives you the opportunity to learn about the island’s eco-system and see many of the beautiful animals, birds and reptiles which are native to the tropics.
- See the natural salt ponds which are vital to the island’s eco-system.
- Visit the St. Maarten Park Zoo and see many different species of tropical birds and animals.
- Enjoy views of neighboring islands and the island’s flora and fauna.
Upon leaving the pier, you will travel along Philipsburg’s natural salt ponds where your knowledgeable guide will provide interesting information regarding the importance of the salt ponds to the eco-system. At St. Maarten Park Zoo, a guide will introduce you to some unique residents, including an amazing array of birds including blue and gold, green-winged, and scarlet macaws. You will have an opportunity to see the Caribbean and American tropics come alive. The zoo has 80 species of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and invertebrates, displayed in a tropical garden setting.
After enjoying a beverage, your tour continues through the mountainous middle region of the island. You’re heading to the area of Oyster Pond where you can view St. Barts, Tintemarre and the many smaller islets that dot the Caribbean Sea. A couple of brief stops allow the guide to point out interesting facts about the island's flora and fauna including the interesting medicinal use of island "bush tea".
What to Bring:
- You should always take your SeaPass card (provided onboard the ship) and photo identification when in port.
- Sun protection
- Money for incidentals
What to Wear:
- Recommend wearing light clothing and comfortable walking shoes.