Delve into Holland’s history and cultural traditions on an exciting eight-hour outing, as you learn about windmills and explore a clog-making workshop in charming Zaanse Schans before enjoying free time in the capital city of Amsterdam. Embark on a guided walk through the open-air museum of the Zaanse Schans neighborhood, home to a collection of well-preserved windmills and Dutch houses. With an up-close view of the historic 18th-century mills, your guide will expound on the region’s industrial revolution and reclaimed land development. Then with a few minutes to yourself, you can step inside a local clog workshop to watch skilled craftsmen chisel wood into Dutch clogs — also be sure to check out the shoe museum and take a pair home for yourself. To top off the day, head to the historic city center of Amsterdam and spend a couple hours independently exploring the 17th-century Canal Ring district. Here you can cross bridges spanning its famous canals, browse the aromatic Flower Market, or stroll around the Red Light District, with tasty Dutch fries in hand.
This tour is provided by an operator that has been third-party certified to meet the Global Sustainable Tourism Council's Criteria for Tour Operators.
• Zaanse Schans: Get an up-close look at Dutch windmills and traditional houses on a guided walk of this quaint village.
• Clogs: See expert artisans crafting wooden clogs using centuries-old techniques, plus view one of the country’s largest clog shoe collections.
• Amsterdam: Experience what this capital city is known for ... the canals, Flower Market, Red Light District and Dutch food.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Sun protection
What to Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Walking shoes
• Wind/water resistant jacket
• Guests must be able to walk approximately 1.1 miles over uneven surfaces, with inclines and about 15 steps and extended periods of standing.
• Guests with back/neck problems should not select this tour.
• Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour.
• Tour coaches are not wheelchair accessible.
• Guests must be able to climb into the coach and take a few, small steps on their own.
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• Guests with concerns should consult their personal physician.
• Guests needing special assistance must be accompanied by an able-bodied companion.
• Many shops are closed on Sunday and Monday mornings.
• Tour does not include lunch or entrance fees.
• Guide will designate a time and place to rejoin your coach for return to ship.
• Guests who miss the return transportation will be responsible for getting back to the ship.
• The drive between Rotterdam and Zaanse Schans/Amsterdam is approximately 1 hour 45 minutes each way.
• Tour sequence may vary.