A sleeping giant awaits exploration on Rangitoto Island, created 600 years ago by volcanic eruptions. The scenic ferry ride across Auckland?s Waitemata Harbour offers an intimate view of the living planet at work. Explorer vehicles provide a guided journey through this dormant volcano?s rugged lava crops and native bush. From the summit?s base a boardwalk leads to the peak, a short walk duly rewarded by sweeping views and a sense of the 850-foot-high mountain?s power.
• Rangitoto Island: Explorer vehicles offer guided tours of rocky volcanic island; ascend to the summit for panoramic views.
• Ferry ride: A pleasant cruise across beautiful Waitemata Harbour delivers guests to the majestic volcano?s shores.
• THIS TOUR IS OPERATED BY A TOUR OPERATOR THAT HAS BEEN THIRD-PARTY VERIFIED TO AN INTERNATIONALLY RECOGNIZED SUSTAINABILITY STANDARD.
What To Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Sun protection
• Local currency
What To Wear:
• Walking shoes
• Hat and sunglasses
• Light clothing
• Guests will walk from the ferry to the 4WD Road Train.
• Guests will walk over flat loose metal surfaces.
• Walking up 300 steps to the crater is optional.
• Ferry ride to Rangitoto Island is approximately 25 minutes.