Embark on a six-hour trip that combines a walk through the traditional village of Broek-in-Waterland with an inside windmill visit nearby Beemster, plus free time to explore Amsterdam's historic Canal Ring district. A 30-minute coach ride brings you into the rural Holland town of Broek-in-Waterland. Here you'll take a stroll around its 17th-century wooden houses and old St. Nicholas church, while learning about the village's Dutch maritime and merchant history — it's also known as one of the cleanest towns in the Netherlands. Then head to Beemster, the first polder in the Netherlands where its land was reclaimed from a lake. Climb to the top of an active windmill, viewing the water extraction process dating back to the early 17th century. Top your day off with two hours of free time in Amsterdam's UNESCO-listed Canal Ring. Admire gabled mansions, see the Royal Palace in Dam Square, use your free time to relax over some Dutch cuisine — or grab a Dutch beer in the Red Light District, before making your way back to port.
This tour is provided by an operator that has been third-party certified to meet the Global Sustainable Tourism Council's Criteria for Tour Operators.
• Broek-in-Waterland: Wooden houses, the 14th-century St. Nicholas church, a rich maritime legacy and old Dutch atmosphere await you.
• Beemster: Learn about Holland's reclaimed land process and polders while exploring the inside of a working windmill in the countryside.
• Amsterdam: Enjoy two hours of free time to sightsee, shop, grab lunch or cruise around the 17th-century Canal Ring district.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Sun protection
What to Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Walking shoes
• Wind/water resistant jacket
• Guests must be able to walk approximately 1.1 miles over uneven surfaces, with inclines and about 70 steps and extended periods of standing.
• Guests must consider their physical fitness level and medical history when determining whether this tour is appropriate.
• Guests with pre-existing neck, back, knee and/or shoulder injuries, cardiac conditions, asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, other heart or respiratory conditions or any other medical condition must take particular caution when selecting a tour — particularly tours categorized as "strenuous".
• Guests who have concerns must consult with their personal physician before engaging in any activity that may be strenuous for them.
• Guests needing special assistance must be accompanied by an able-bodied companion.
• This tour includes a tour inside a windmill with steep steps and narrow areas, and is thus not recommended for guests with limited mobility.
• This tour is not suitable for full-time wheelchair/motorized scooter users.
• Tour coaches are not wheelchair accessible.
• Guests must negotiate small, steep steps to the top of the windmill.
• Most shops in Amsterdam are closed Sunday and Monday mornings.
• Tour sequence may vary.