Enjoy a half-day excursion combining a brief tour of central Bergen and a drive west to the island of Sotra and through Øygarden, which is a collection of smaller islands and skerries (islets) linked by bridges. Stop at a tiny farming village, traveling by boat to visit a museum and tour a working salmon farm. Before heading back, enjoy lappers, delicious traditional pancakes.
Before taking in the beautiful coastline on the outskirts of Bergen, you’ll head to Nordnes, a charming neighborhood of densely packed clusters of wooden houses and narrow cobblestone streets and alleys. Then you’ll make your way out of the city to the island of Sotra, the largest of the islands surrounding Bergen. In this region, fishing and farming are important industries, and you’ll see why when you stop in the farming community of Herdlevær for photos and board a boat for a 10-minute trip to the Øygarden Coastal Museum. Watch a film and view exhibits about the local communities and their way of life, from the Stone Age and to the present, plus tour a working salmon farm. After, enjoy a coffee break with traditional lappers — tasty, homemade thick pancakes made with sour cream and served with jam.
On the way back to Bergen, you’ll pass the modern oil industry estate of Ågotnes, a stark contrast to the traditional countryside, where’ll you have the chance to photograph the dramatically shaped Solsviksundet Bridge.
• Coastal drive: Head west to Sotra and through Øygarden, a collection of picturesque smaller islands and skerries linked by bridges.
• Øygarden Coastal Museum: Learn about the local fisheries and the local communities’ way of life from the Stone Age to today.
• Salmon farm: Tour a working salmon farm; see firsthand one of the region’s most important industries.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Sun protection
• Cash/credit cards
What to Wear:
• Shoes with non-slip soles
• Comfortable clothing
• Hat and sunglasses
• Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour.
• There are about 25 steps at the museum and fishing farm.