Explore fantastical, ingenious architecture representing Modernism, a pivotal, turn-of-the-20th-century movement in Catalonia that, at the time, turned conventional notions of art and literature upside down. Your evening includes a fully guided visit of the outside of Antoni Gaudi?s unfinished masterpiece, Sagrada Familia. Marvel at how the existing towers reach to the sky. Get close and admire the three façades, representing Christ?s birth, His death and resurrection, and His present and future Glory. And find yourself getting lost in the intricate architectural details.
Then prepare to be amazed during an exclusive visit to one of the Modernista jewels of Barcelona: the Hospital de Sant Pau, a former hospital that is today a museum and cultural center. Stand in awe at the richly detailed exterior, noting the domes, roofs, façades, sculptures and stained glass windows. Step inside and discover exquisite, labyrinthine patterns from floor to ceiling.
Afterward, stop for photos at the mind-bending Casa Batlló, a residence in the Passeig de Gracia designed by Gaudi in 1904 ? its multicolored façade features wave-like windows and balconies and an uneven tiled roof. Then enjoy some free time on your own to shop and explore before heading back to the ship.
• Sagrada Familia: Construction began on this amazing example of Modernism in 1882; some anticipate its completion in 2026, 100 years after Gaudi?s death.
• Hospital de Sant Pau: The original hospital dates from 1401; the present complex of buildings were built between 1901 and 1930 and remained a functioning hospital until 2009.
• Passeig de Gracia: Known as the most expensive street in Barcelona, stop for photos at the mind-bending Casa Batlló; enjoy free time to shop and explore.
• THIS TOUR IS OPERATED BY A TOUR OPERATOR THAT HAS BEEN THIRD-PARTY VERIFIED TO AN INTERNATIONALLY RECOGNIZED SUSTAINABILITY STANDARD.
What To Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Sun protection
• Cash/credit cards
What To Wear:
• Light clothing
• Walking shoes
• Hat and sunglasses
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• Guests can expect a moderate amount of walking on varied terrain with inclines, steps and periods of standing.