Imperial Rome - CV02
Feel 12 centuries of conquering rule come alive on this tour of Imperial Rome. Toss a coin into Trevi Fountain (ongoing restoration) to ensure your return to the Eternal City. Explore the ruins of the Forum, where loyal hearts were swelled by triumphant processions that traveled along the Sacred Way. Enter the legendary Roman Colosseum, one of the most important monuments of ancient Rome. This tour takes you back to the days of the Empire.
Note: Travel time to and from Rome is about 1 1/2 hrs each way. This tour is not suggested for guests with walking difficulties or those using a wheelchair.
Ready to reserve this excursion?
Explore Rome's fascinating history among ancient ruins and at the sacred church in Vatican City. Stroll the remains of the Forum, the heart of Roman life during antiquity, and follow the ceremonial road into the imposing Colosseum amphitheater, site of elaborate spectacles. At the Vatican, admire the Renaissance splendors of St. Peter's Basilica, the world's largest church. Top off your tour with a visit to Trevi Fountain, a Baroque landmark.
Ready to reserve this excursion?
• Trevi Fountain: Rome's most famous fountain (ongoing restoration.)
• Imperial Rome: Explore the remains of the Forum, the area that formed the heart of the ancient city, and the imposing Colosseum amphitheater.
• St. Peter's Basilica: This holiest of churches at the Vatican is an architectural marvel decorated with works by Renaissance masters (outside visit only.)
• Lunch: Savor an authentic Italian meal at a restaurant or hotel, accompanied by a glass wine.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards Sun protection
What to Wear:
• Conservative attire
• Walking shoes
• Guests must be able to approximately walk 3 miles over even and cobblestone surfaces with about 100 steps and extended periods of standing.
• Guests in wheelchairs and those with other mobility challenges should not select this tour.
• A strict dress code is enforced in St. Peter’s Basilica.
• Short pants, tank tops and revealing clothing are not acceptable and guests wearing these items may not be allowed to enter.
• The drive between Civitavecchia and Rome is approximately 90 minutes, depending on traffic.
• If there is a special event or mass at St. Peter's Basilica, the guide will provide commentary outside and guests will enter on their own.
• Access may be restricted during mass.
• If the basilica is closed for security reasons, the tour will compensate with more time for shopping and/or independent exploration.
• If the wait at the St. Peter's Basilica security checkpoint is longer than 45 minutes, the guide will forego the inside visit and provide you with a full explanation and description while outside.
•Guests may be required to check large bags, backpacks, video cameras, and/or personal water bottles at designated checkpoints.
• Please note that for the inside visit of St. Peter’s Basilica the use of headsets is mandatory.
• Guests will be responsible for missing headsets.
• Most stores, except souvenir shops, are closed on Sundays and public holidays. Shop opening hours often vary by season.
• The tour order may vary.
• Due to new traffic regulations, should the bus not be allowed to pick up guests close to the St. Peters Basilica, guests will be required to walk approximately 0.6 miles to the nearest pick-up location.
• Should your guide determine that the queue at the Colosseum is longer than 45 minutes, they will forego the inside visit and provide guests with an a full explanation while outside.
• In addition to English this tour is offered in Italian and Spanish.
• A minimum of 20 guests is needed for the tour to run in a different language.