Join a 2.5-hour, fully guided walking tour that leads you past the most notable landmarks of Frederiksted, from the waterfront Fort Frederik's military history to the masterpiece-packed Caribbean Museum Center for the Arts. Follow a local guide on a sightseeing trail throughout St. Croix's second-largest town, learning how it earned its "Freedom City" nickname while traipsing down Strand Street. Hear tales of the Fireburn revolt of 1878 and admire the Victorian-era architecture that arose shortly after. See St. Paul's Anglican Church, one of 150 churches standing in the "Land of Churches," before passing the yellow-clad Customs House and tracing European roots to the Old Danish School. You'll then enter Fort Frederik, a US National Historic Landmark built by the Danish in the 1750s as a defense from pirates marauding around the Caribbean — the slave emancipation of 1848 also took place among these timeworn walls. Finally, a step inside the Caribbean Museum Center for the Arts reveals a collection of works by Caribbean artists, as everyday island life is colorfully expressed through acrylic paintings, vibrant watercolors, silkscreen prints, detailed sculptures and professional photography. On the return route, you're welcome to wander or shop as you wish before independently walking back to the ship.
• Frederiksted: A narrated stroll along Strand Street reveals downtown's Victorian architecture, notable churches, Customs House and Old Danish School.
• Fort Frederik: Explore the centuries-old legacy of this red-and-white citadel back to the days of pirates and slaveholders.
• Caribbean Museum Center for the Arts: An impressive array of paintings, photography and sculptures showcases life in the islands.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Sun protection (biodegradable)
What to Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Walking shoes
• Guests must be able to walk approximately .6 miles (spanning 2.5 hours) over cobblestone surfaces, with inclines and about 35 steps and extended periods of standing.
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour.
• Pregnant women and guests with back/neck problems should not select this tour.
• Guests with concerns should consult their personal physician.
• Tour sequence may vary.
• The USVI’s forbids the use of chemical sun protection if entering the water. Only UV protective clothing (rash guard) or biodegradable sun protection are permitted in an effort to protect our oceans.